• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory Fuel tank size ???

NavyBronco66

Loc.
San Antonio
I have a 1966 U13 can anyone tell me what size the fuel tank is it's a factory single tank and I am trying to figure it out so I can't figure out my gas milage ??? With the fuel gauge sitting on empy to fill it takes around $30 to $40 and is says I'm only putting in around 10 gallons of fuel any ideas ??

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
You don't really need to know the tank size to calculate your gas mileage. Here are the steps:

Fill the tank and record odometer reading

At next fill-up, record gallons of fuel pumped and odometer reading.

Divide the miles driven by the gas pumped.

So, if you drove 120 miles, and used 9 gallons you divide 120 by 9, which is 13.33.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I borrow my son's cheap GPS. It can record trip mileage and keep it in memory even after shutting it off. My more expensive unit loses the info when shut down. This takes tire size out of the equation.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I borrow my son's cheap GPS. It can record trip mileage and keep it in memory even after shutting it off. My more expensive unit loses the info when shut down. This takes tire size out of the equation.

That is a good point. If the speedometer gear is incorrect, due to larger tires or gearing, your odometer will be off. GPS, of course, overcomes this, and is likely more accurate anyway.