• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Failed vehicle inspection

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
NC just switched over to a new no-sticker program. When you get your vehicle inspected, they enter your vehicle into a computer database and no longer give you a sticker. You can't renew your registration until your vehicle has been inspected. If your inspection expires it's a $250 fine that shows up in your mailbox. If you don't update your registration, it's a $250 fine. If you cancel your insurance or it expires, once again you get fined $250. It's a real pain in the a$$.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Why not just buy a title and glove box door for and older rig ..Changing the year modle of your ride...I too don't want cats near my truck for the pasture or trail ..

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
i'm with many of the previous posters...just go somewhere else. where you are it shouldn't be that hard to find a shady station. shoot, i got my vehicle passed ON BASE and they didn't do anything more than take my $20, input my info into the computer, and print a receipt. they didn't check emissions or anything. this was on a '99 vehicle.

commoncold

I can assure you that your bronco does not have two years left. My 74' just hit the antique classification in september according to the state. Yours will only have a couple of months left. But what is the deal with this new non-sticker deal. I can't be fixing my rig to fit emission standards this far into the resto-mod! Sounds like an ominous sign for my rig...:-[

Its obvious from one look at my bronco that it would never meet emissions standards or anything else for that matter ;D

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Been reading on DMVs site

According to what I have read concerning the new no sticker program...

Beginning on Nov 1 2008 stickers are no longer required

Vehicles older than 1995 models are exempt from emissions inspection but still must pass safety inspection

Vehicles 35 years of age or older are exempt from safety and emmisions inspections

So Boomer, the way I see it, you should be able to carry your bronco in for a safety inspection and if eveything works you should be able pass regardless if the cats are on or not. I'd carry a printout of the link below if you're insisistant of doing this legitimately. If the tech gives you sierra show him in black and white

You all can read the faq here

http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/nomoresticker/download/faq.pdf

commoncold

Okay, I thought I knew there was an earlier vehicle emmissions thing, I just couldn't confirm it. Last time I checked it was cars before 86' were exempt. Just go into the inspection station and ask for them to redo it for free seeing as how they should have known anyways. They have a license for a reason and if they aren't on top of things, then you should call them out.

Good luck,
Dan

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I told them that mine didn't require an emissions test. They said this didn't have anything to do with the emissions portion, they said they have a book that they look up your vehicle info for in and it said I was supposed to have a catalytic converter installed.

I'm going to try a couple different stations anyways. Hopefully, I can get through without the cats.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I told them that mine didn't require an emissions test. They said this didn't have anything to do with the emissions portion, they said they have a book that they look up your vehicle info for in and it said I was supposed to have a catalytic converter installed.

I'm going to try a couple different stations anyways. Hopefully, I can get through without the cats.

Yep, The guy told you the truth. Cats are federal requirement. Try a couple different places and hopefully the info isn't logged into the computer as a fail.

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
That's just asinine! We no longer have veh. inspections in Oklahoma AT ALL!
PREVIOUSLY if it was older than 1977 you didn't have to have any cats or emissions equip. and it didn't depend on what size motor you had.
I vote for using a different inspection station, I'd also tell the failing one that I needed a copy of the page in their book that said I had to have them. I think they are just fishing for 'business' I mean who better to install them for you than the place that's failing your veh.
Of course, I tend to be very suspsious of 'shops' when they come at me with...'you need':mad: when it sounds/smells fishy or in this case....like exhaust.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
PREVIOUSLY if it was older than 1977 you didn't have to have any cats or emissions equip. and it didn't depend on what size motor you had.
I vote for using a different inspection station, I'd also tell the failing one that I needed a copy of the page in their book that said I had to have them. I think they are just fishing for 'business' I mean who better to install them for you than the place that's failing your veh.
Of course, I tend to be very suspsious of 'shops' when they come at me with...'you need':mad: when it sounds/smells fishy or in this case....like exhaust.

There you go.....just take it to Oklahoma.

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC

I was upset too, but they didn't try to sell me anything. I don't think they do exhaust at all, they're a tire business.

I don't think they logged it as a "fail". State law requires them to "fail" you AND charge you for the inspection. Then, you have 30 days to get the failure corrected then bring the vehicle back to the same inspection station with your receipt and they won't charge you for the re-inspection. They didn't charge me anything, so I assume they didn't log it either. So, because of that, I didn't raise too big of a fuss with the intention to research it myself and attempt another inspection at another station.

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have gutted cats on my 77 and it passes state inspection every year. They were functional until 2006 when the truck was stripped to the frame and rebuilt, that's when they were gutted, cleaned up and painted and re-installed, just like factory equipment. Emissions inspections are required where I live but only go back 25 model years so I'm finally done with that.

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
I'd carry a printout of the link below if you're insisistant of doing this legitimately. If the tech gives you sierra show him in black and white.

I made this smarta$$ mistake with one of my Datsuns.
I had been failed once, printed the entire rules and regs., took it with me the next day,
they failed me again, purely out of spite.
I called TXDOT to complain while I was still at the station, they asked me to please not waste their time.:mad:WTF
No one likes to be made the fool, and when you want something from them while you do it.....
you'll not be well recieved.

Take it to a different station. Ask them straight out if they have a problem with it before they "inspect" it.
If the answer is yes, smile, wave goodbye, and drive to the next station and repeat!!

commoncold

Take it to a different station. Ask them straight out if they have a problem with it before they "inspect" it.
If the answer is yes, smile, wave goodbye, and drive to the next station and repeat!!

well said brother

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I took it to another station today. I was hoping to find a "mom and pop", but there's none locally and I didn't want to drive to the next town over and risk getting pulled over for an expired sticker.

The guy who inspected it is a big fan of Broncos so I had it in the bag early on. I was concerned initially because the girl at the counter told me my tires were dry-rotted and would fail the inspection. The guy inspecting it never said a thing about the tires nor the lack of catalytic converters. So I passed and have found a new place to get my vehicles inspected!

Thanks for everyone's advice and for saving me $200!

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
Congrats!!!! glad to see there are still some people in the world
who don't think they have to try to jerk someone around!