• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan Direction

Bruiser

Question for all you Guru's. My 69 Bronco with a 302 constantly runs hot. Curently has a 4 core Tom's radiator with a 180 degree balanced thermostat. Messing around with it today noticed that the fan is blowing through the radiator toward the front of the truck not sucking through it into the engine compartment. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Thanks,
Dan

70_Steve

Old Guy
Bruiser said:
...the fan is blowing through the radiator toward the front of the truck not sucking through it into the engine compartment. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Nope. Turn the fan around!

OP
OP
B

Bruiser

Ok one more question if I turn the fan around then the flex part of the blades will be toward the radiator instead of the engine is that OK? Or should I look for a new fan with the fins facing the other direction or???
Thanks,
Dan

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
70_Steve said:
Nope. Turn the fan around!
???????????????????? ?:?

Standard rotation (looking at motor from front of vehicle) is clockwise. If your fan is pitched to pull air while turning counter-clockwise, it is the wrong fan. Replace it. This is assuming you have the stock style waterpump and not the serpentine unit.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
The flexible part of the blade should point toward the engine. You may have a fan installed that is set up for reverse rotation. In that case, you will need a new fan. Or, if you have a serpentine belt setup, the person who did the conversion might not have replaced the fan with a reverse rotation unit. In either case, the thick part of the fan is the leading edge. The fan blades will sweep toward the engine.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I would say get another fan. My serp set up spins the fan backwards so I had to get one of the fixed blade fans due to almost no clearance. So definately check to make sure it is right or it will run hot quick if moving....

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you turn the fan around it will still push air the same way. You need to replace the fan and my guess is you will also need to replace the water pump