• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan shroud for body lift

tampabronco

I have a mangled fan shroud "modified" to fit a 1" body lift. Question for anyone who bought the upgraded fan shroud designed for 1" body lift-Did it cool any better and is it worth the money and FREIGHT charge??

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I ordered a steel shroud from one of our vendors that was advertised to be used on a 1 to 2 inch body lift.
The shroud I recieved had an oval hole for the fan. No way was it possible to cool effeciently. Also, it was way too tall for a 1" body lift.
I ended up sending it back and using a non-lifted steel shroud, and added steel strips to lower it. It actually looks and works very well.
Fact is though, the original fiber shroud was the best one I've had. Those can be modified and repaired more easily, and they won't normally ruin the fan if the two make contact. And that does happen on trails.;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you say did it cool any better, are you talking about better than a modified stock shroud, or better than having no shroud?
I'm sure it cools better under most conditions than not having a shroud, but doubt it makes any noticeable difference whether the shroud was designed for a 1" lift or modified to fit.

The exception to that might be a shroud specifically made to not cover any of the fins at all, but not sure if I've seen such a beast yet.
In that case it would theoretically cool better, but doubt that most of us would notice on our gauges. Usually not that much of the core is covered by the other ones to make a big difference.

How mangled is your old one? Fixable or not?
If not, it sounds like you're stuck paying for one no matter what. But if it's salvageable, that would certainly be your least expensive option.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Thanks for the input

My fan shroud is serviceable but wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by staying with a bad shroud