• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan Shroud ? w/ 1" body lift

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
I have the WH 1" body lift and purchasing the WH 4 Core Tri-Pass radiator. I am trying to figure out which fan shroud I need. My current shroud it "toast"..... Which one of these do I need?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Fan_Shroud_V8_only/Bronco_Radiators

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/17954/Bronco_Radiators

Or

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...oud-black-2-body-lift-66-77-early-ford-bronco

I am not sure if the aluminum one will fit the 4core tri-pass radiator? Also, if it's the aluminum one, can I paint it black?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You "can" paint aluminum....

I used a JBG fiberglass shroud with my 1" body lift.
I am using a 16" fan. It fits fine with my 1" body lift.
There are better and bigger fans out there.
The fiberglass shroud was very easy to modify for my BC/VA a/c unit.

My problem is not having enough room to run a beefy fan. The only ones I can get to work are Perma-cool fans. They have no forward bite of the blade. Completely flat on the front. More room for the radiator. Summit and Jegs have them.

I will be going to the Explorer swap soon so it will not matter for me ....but then I will be trying to fit an Explorer fan in my shroud....fiberglass shroud will probably get modified again, lol...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should be able to use any of those listed NashBronco. It appears you may need to modify any of them, but that's not etched in stone. Obviously I have not used a Tom's one yet, so don't have definitive info on it.
As said, you can certainly paint aluminum, but if you really want black and don't have to have aluminum, the steel one would work to your advantage just for costing less.

I have the same radiator and the aluminum shroud that was already modified for the 1" body lift with the previous (stock) radiator, but have not re-modified it to be installed yet. Going a slightly different route, but not far off the path.

Looks like the Tom's is set up for 2" lifts primarily, but I would imagine it's easy enough to modify for a 1" lift instead. Probably just a matter of drilling holes in a different location, or adding strips just like you do with a stock height shroud. But again, I actually don't know that for a fact.
It might actually take the same method to raise theirs as it takes to lower ours.

And that method is often just using a strip of aluminum, plastic or steel 1.5" (or 1.25" as buckaroo mentions below) wide by 16 (and some change) long with holes drilled to allow the shroud to remain down at the original height, while the radiator goes up.

I will say this too though. Not everyone needs to modify the shroud. It's another one of those strange foibles of Bronco ownership and their inconsistencies. I did not have to lower the stock shroud on my '71 at all. But the '68 needed it so Doug lowered it with just one strip on the bottom lip, while cleverly drilling and tapping two holes in the upper fan surround to allow it to be bolted directly to the radiator's top rib.

It's less complex than I make it sound. I decided to run two strips to see how that worked out on the new radiator. Instead of the previous direct bolting method.

Paul

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Instead of lowering the shroud you could lower the radiator.
That way the shroud would stay in the correct position to make the fan pull air through the radiator.
James Duff sells brackets to do that with a 2 inch body lift, you could modify them or use the idea and make your own to suit your body lift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah I sure like that product. Anyone here used one yet to give some feedback?
I thought it was a pretty clever idea actually, but have not seen one in action.

Though dropping the shroud by roughly 1" is not going to cause any trouble in the air flow department. It's just not enough of a shift to block anything trying to get through the core.
Moving the radiator down in the opening might be just as much of an air-flow changer.
I wonder what, if anything would need to be done to the top mounts?

And it's likely not for everyone, simply because it requires removing the old ones (spot welds?) and welding the new ones in place. Not everyone is interested in welding or paying for the install to be done for them. 1" drop plates are pretty simple and can be done with basic tools.

Still, something for everybody and very interested to hear about them.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I ordered the 1"-2" shroud from Toms to use with my 1" body lift.
I had to send it back and to modify the un-lifted shroud.
First problem is, the 1"-2" shroud didn't have a round hole. It was way oval. No way could it have efficient cooling with 2" above and below the fan.
Also, it was just too tall to use on a 1" body lift.
Making the unlifted shroud work with a 1" lift is really easy. You simply add a 1-1/4" strap of sheet metal on the top and bottom of the radiator to move the shroud down.
A little rattle can spray paint on the sheet metal, and no one will even notice the change.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks for the info. You reminded me that I actually bought some straps a while ago and painted them but didn't end up using them. I may just order a regular shroud and use the extension straps.

Next question:

I have a cooling issue, maybe timing or maybe something else. Is an aluminum shroud helpful if I have a copper radiator? I wouldn't think so. Also extra $100.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't imagine that aluminum has any advantage over steel or fiberglass or plastic when it comes to the shroud itself.
It's nice to have similar metals in contact with each other of course. So an aluminum radiator, because they're not coated or painted, can benefit (metallurgically speaking) from an aluminum shroud. Most copper radiators don't care because they're painted, but if paint wears off they would appreciate a painted steel shroud or fiberglass in place of aluminum.
That said, many of us, including me, have aluminum shrouds on their copper radiators and don't have any galvanic corrosion to speak of.

And the bottom line is that a strip of tape/plastic/insulation between the two gets rid of any possible trouble anyway.

I say save the money unless you think you might go to aluminum radiator later.

Paul