• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan Shroud with 1" body lift

Yooper74

I'm getting a little conflicting info from the vendors about if a stock OE style fan shroud will work with my 1" body lift or not?

Anyone have an actual answer?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My stock shroud fit fine without moving it. But I also installed new stock motor mounts which actually raised the motor up about 1/2 from their previous position which had dropped due to 45 year old rubber.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
difficult?
No, Hack saw, file, cordless drill.

Upper plate:
Cut to length, to fit between radiator mounts.
Trim to match contour.
Trace holes from radiator to plate, drill to match.
Drill two more holes 1" lower.
Bolt in.

Repeat for lower plate.

2021-04-16_133435.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting a little conflicting info from the vendors about if a stock OE style fan shroud will work with my 1" body lift or not?

That's because there are conflicting answers based on conflicting experiences.
Some of us don't have to modify anything, while others do. Simple as that.

Anyone have an actual answer?

Yes. Your results may vary.;);D

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
No, Hack saw, file, cordless drill.

Upper plate:
Cut to length, to fit between radiator mounts.
Trim to match contour.
Trace holes from radiator to plate, drill to match.
Drill two more holes 1" lower.
Bolt in.

Repeat for lower plate.

View attachment 522528

I did the same thing. I made spacers to drop the shroud down.
I used two strips of 1/16" steel 1-1/4" wide.
Paint to match and you don't notice them.

armynavy17

Contributor
I just notched the bottom of my fan shroud where it interfered and left it mounted in the stock location. No issues in the last 10 years with running hot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When Doug set up the shroud on the (now my) '68 he only used an aluminum strip on the lower edge. The upper was so simple it was brilliant. Two new holes in the top strap of the radiator a little closer to the center, bolts and nuts through the shroud, and a perfect fit!

Actually I did add a second strip later simply because I wanted the upper and lower ends to be spaced equally off of the radiator, but at less than 1/8" difference it was hardly something I needed to do. His solution was simple and elegant.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks catfan. I think I remember you (or someone) talking about those awhile back.

Paul

OP
OP
Y

Yooper74

Update:

I ordered the stock OE fan shroud from dennis carpenter. It fit pretty well. Had to "expand" the mounting holes slightly but very little. Was pretty simple with the dremel tool. Actually had to tweak it a little to move sideways also as my front end was tweaked to get hood alignment.

anyways. worked good with the 1" body lift. no big deal. even spent the 6 bucks to get the sticker

fan shroud.jpg