• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fan spacer help

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I have been dealing with cooling issues and I am trying to mount my 7 blade Hayden fan.

I need a spacer longer than the 1 1/4” I have, as the fan hits my crankshaft pulley and ac compressor.

I need either 1 1/2” inch or 1 3/4” spacer. I can not find either with the proper dimensions, or a 1 1/2” for that matter.

I need 5/8 diameter for the male and female pilot. I can only find a 3/4 female pilot and 5/8 male pilot for the 1 3/4 spacer. Can I stack 2 spacers together? Then I could just a 1/2” and put it under my current.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel I have scoured the web! I need it ASAP.

Also, is 3/4” too close to the radiator for my fan?

Last edited:

swmrdrn

Thank you!

I just have to think that is going to put the fan too close to the radiator. These old trucks tend to flex some and it is really easy to stick the spinning fan into the rad.... ask me how I know. :-(

This isn’t what you want to hear but your best bet when running a/c is to move to an explorer serpentine front dress. If you don’t want to do that I have some spacers around my house that are free but they put the fan into my radiator. BTW: I’m in Pasadena if you want to stop by and take a look.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I just have to think that is going to put the fan too close to the radiator. These old trucks tend to flex some and it is really easy to stick the spinning fan into the rad.... ask me how I know. :-(

This isn’t what you want to hear but your best bet when running a/c is to move to an explorer serpentine front dress. If you don’t want to do that I have some spacers around my house that are free but they put the fan into my radiator. BTW: I’m in Pasadena if you want to stop by and take a look.

Seems I should try to keep it 1” from radiator then. I believe if it’s 1” from he radiator, than I’ll be a 1/4” from my crankshaft pulley and ac compressor.

1/4 should be ok correct? Seeing as those won’t shift into each other? My only concern is the Hayden is a flex fan. I would be afraid of it flexing into a pulley.

When I’m 3/4” from the radiator I am 1/2” from the pulleys.

I don’t off road much. And when I do, it is light trails, is body flex still a huge issue?

I can’t do the explorer front dress right now. Renovating a house, so priorities are shifted.

I am in highland park. So down the street from you

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My only concern is the Hayden is a flex fan. I would be afraid of it flexing into a pulley.

It won't flex into your pulleys. The blades will flex toward the radiator, but not so much as to hit it.
Flex fans "flatten" out at high RPM.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
It won't flex into your pulleys. The blades will flex toward the radiator, but not so much as to hit it.
Flex fans "flatten" out at high RPM.

And now I feel even dummer. Haha

Seems I should make the smallest spacer work then. As long as I’m slightly clear of the pulleys. Thank you!

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I have 1/4” between my fan and crankshaft pulley, will hat be enough room? That gives me 1” to my radiator

Attachments

• BCD1B7FB-B4C5-498D-8B53-E7A1D34F1231.jpg
    BCD1B7FB-B4C5-498D-8B53-E7A1D34F1231.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 60140156-FFAF-420B-8C84-7E4B1A05F669.jpg
    60140156-FFAF-420B-8C84-7E4B1A05F669.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 55

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
1" is plenty.
That three belt system is better than the two belt, but it's hard to fit. The fan has to fit between the crank pulley and the compressor clutch. I had VA make me a special bracket that moved the compressor out past the fan. It was still a challenge. But the A/C sure does work nicely!

But you're right to be concerned about the fan to radiator space. I learned the hard way.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
1" is plenty.
That three belt system is better than the two belt, but it's hard to fit. The fan has to fit between the crank pulley and the compressor clutch. I had VA make me a special bracket that moved the compressor out past the fan. It was still a challenge. But the A/C sure does work nicely!

But you're right to be concerned about the fan to radiator space. I learned the hard way.

I’m terrified of eating up my radiator. I do light off roading. So I hope that minimizes the risk.

Good new is I customized my shroud so it encloses the fan properly (new metal ones wouldn’t work), got my fan in with not hitting anything. Truck stayed at 165 for 45min at idle, I would hold 2k rpm for a bit and only cooled, didn’t beat, turned my ac on and it still wouldn’t get to operating temp. Blocked the radiator with cardboard and it took 15 min with the ac and no airflow to get to 195 so I could get the coolant proper.

So I think I’m finally done with overheating!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Truck stayed at 165 for 45min at idle, I would hold 2k rpm for a bit and only cooled, didn’t beat, turned my ac on and it still wouldn’t get to operating temp. Blocked the radiator with cardboard and it took 15 min with the ac and no airflow to get to 195 so I could get the coolant proper.

Good job!
And nice pulleys!
But either your temp gauge is incorrect, or your thermostat is wrong. 165 isn't hot enough.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We have been switching to the Hayden 3618 Fan and Hayden 2765 Clutch. No spacer needed but this combo will not work with a 4 core radiator. We have had excellent results, plenty of air flow due to non flex with a clutch when needed. We have also been replacing the fan shroud with JBG's 10621 Super Fan Shroud. This is for a stock setup only running V Belts.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I’m terrified of eating up my radiator. I do light off roading. So I hope that minimizes the risk.

Good new is I customized my shroud so it encloses the fan properly (new metal ones wouldn’t work), got my fan in with not hitting anything. Truck stayed at 165 for 45min at idle, I would hold 2k rpm for a bit and only cooled, didn’t beat, turned my ac on and it still wouldn’t get to operating temp. Blocked the radiator with cardboard and it took 15 min with the ac and no airflow to get to 195 so I could get the coolant proper.

What thermostat did you end up running?

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Good job!
And nice pulleys!
But either your temp gauge is incorrect, or your thermostat is wrong. 165 isn't hot enough.

Temp gauge and thermostat are brand new, I got the motor hotter with blocking off airflow. I know that isn’t hot enough. I’m going to see how it does in a hot day with ac, if I need to I’ll open up the shroud for some hot air to enter

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I just let the truck sit today after a drive. It got to 185, but my upper hose was soft. Is my cap still bad? Or does it get firm once the thermostat opens?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You still might have air in the system. I usually fill mine after working on it with the front end up on ramps, curb or even a parking bar. Leave it running with the cap off until you see hot coolant and then top it off. Then drop it down and fill the overflow bottle to the proper level.