• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fan spacer

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock radiator is fine. Pump doesn’t really care what you’re using, and the cooling ability of a stock radiator is very decent until you get too heavily modified engines, or other changes that might restrict airflow over the fins.
I used one with my stock 71 for 25 years. I don’t have one on my explorer engine in the 68, because the stock pump is still working. Once it goes south though, a flow cooler will go in its place.
I personally don’t remember having the problem that some people had, with the water pump needing a second gasket on the back cover to keep the thicker impeller from rubbing on the back plate. (Edit: Or I should say front/timing cover)
We’ve heard about that a few times here starting about 10 years ago. Haven’t heard anybody mention it in a couple of years though.
Everybody seems to be happy with them once they get them set up correctly.

So even a high-end performance manufacturer has a misstep now and then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Stock radiator is fine. Pump doesn’t really care what you’re using, and the cooling ability of a stock radiator is very decent until you get too heavily modified engines, or other changes that might restrict airflow over the fins.
I used one with my stock 71 for 25 years. I don’t have one on my explorer engine in the 68, because the stock pump is still working. Once it goes south though, a flow cooler will go in its place.
I personally don’t remember having the problem that some people had, with the water pump needing a second gasket on the back cover to keep the thicker impeller from rubbing on the back plate.
We’ve heard about that a few times here starting about 10 years ago. Haven’t heard anybody mention it in a couple of years though.
Everybody seems to be happy with them once they get them set up correctly.

So even a high-end performance manufacturer has a misstep now and then.
Thanks Paul,good info,i will give them a look!

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Also wanted to say,i don't think i have ever ordered anything from rock auto probably due to there is basically no customer service from what i can tell,can't call anyone there,maybe i'm wrong?They do seem to have good prices on things,but everything is through the mail and when i need something i want to be able to go down and get it,any thoughts on this?
I just added that link for a reference picture. I wasn't trying to promote that water pump, I don't even know if it is correct for your Bronco. That being said, I have ordered lots of stuff from RockAuto, and I am very satisfied with the company and their shipping and prices. The only thing I can caution you about with them is anything with a core charge. I usually either eat the core charge (weighing against local parts places, gotta do the math) or buy local. But a lot of times, if you are shopping between RockAuto and Amazon, Amazon is cheaper, if you factor in shipping. I have Amazon Prime, so the vast majority of what I buy is free shipping, but RockAuto charges tax on shipping, so take that into account too. All those extra little things add up over time, and while I still love to buy from the vendors on here, sometimes it is more cost- or time- effective to buy elsewhere, depending on budget and time sensitivity. But I can't recall having a bad transaction with RockAuto. When I buy my water pump for the Explorer 5.0 I'm eventually putting in my Bronco, it will be a FlowKooler, purchased from Wild Horses as they are the cheapest I've found shipped to my house.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
I just added that link for a reference picture. I wasn't trying to promote that water pump, I don't even know if it is correct for your Bronco. That being said, I have ordered lots of stuff from RockAuto, and I am very satisfied with the company and their shipping and prices. The only thing I can caution you about with them is anything with a core charge. I usually either eat the core charge (weighing against local parts places, gotta do the math) or buy local. But a lot of times, if you are shopping between RockAuto and Amazon, Amazon is cheaper, if you factor in shipping. I have Amazon Prime, so the vast majority of what I buy is free shipping, but RockAuto charges tax on shipping, so take that into account too. All those extra little things add up over time, and while I still love to buy from the vendors on here, sometimes it is more cost- or time- effective to buy elsewhere, depending on budget and time sensitivity. But I can't recall having a bad transaction with RockAuto. When I buy my water pump for the Explorer 5.0 I'm eventually putting in my Bronco, it will be a FlowKooler, purchased from Wild Horses as they are the cheapest I've found shipped to my house.
Right on man,thank you for the good info on rock auto!