• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ID Feedback Please...for my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My daughter has been looking at bronco's, and found this one. I'm afraid she's gonna be suckered into a bad purchase, so thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone has seen this bronco, or if you could give your initial opinion based on the photos.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/9509506

I told her you guys are the experts, and neither she (nor I) should be purchasing a bronco without running it past the good folks here on CB

Thanks!

P.S. She wants one that is in running condition, not a huge project. Basically something she can have fun in ;D

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
For the price it looks like a nice truck, you should see if someone on here in the area can take a look at it for you. You do plan to go out and see the truck before buying it correct? Too many scams to buy without seeing it in person and verifying title. If it is as good as the pictures make it look the price is low, so low that it starts to get into possible scam territory. If it's legit and mechanically sound you should snap it up. It's a 8-10k truck by the pictures, assuming there is no rust.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like either a very good deal or a scam...warren hubs? The mispelling of "Warn" and the question mark after "C4?" transmission makes me think that the seller may not be an expert by any means. New floor boards means rust, so look at all of the other suspect areas thoroughly. Fiberglass hood and front fenders can be an indicator for other major front end work and/or damage which could help explain the price too.

Good luck on the hunt.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With fiberglass fenders, there's probably rust issues, just be careful. If it runs good, thats in the ballpark of a reasonable price. Check out the auto tranny, if bad thats an easy $1000-1500 cost.

A girl who wants a bronco, cool. But what does she need? A commuter or a 4x4 wheeler? Just be sure a bronco is what she needs.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the price it looks like a nice truck, you should see if someone on here in the area can take a look at it for you. You do plan to go out and see the truck before buying it correct? Too many scams to buy without seeing it in person and verifying title. If it is as good as the pictures make it look the price is low, so low that it starts to get into possible scam territory. If it's legit and mechanically sound you should snap it up. It's a 8-10k truck by the pictures, assuming there is no rust.

Thanks for your help kls. Yes she's definitely not going to purchase without first inspecting it, or having someone check it out. I've told her about the scams, which I've learned exist thanks to the CB site. (I do vote!) I too was a little leary of the "too good to be true" factor on this rig, so we're trying to do our research.

Apongee said:
Seems like either a very good deal or a scam...warren hubs? The mispelling of "Warn" and the question mark after "C4?" transmission makes me think that the seller may not be an expert by any means. New floor boards means rust, so look at all of the other suspect areas thoroughly. Fiberglass hood and front fenders can be an indicator for other major front end work and/or damage which could help explain the price too.

Good luck on the hunt.

See I knew it was a good idea to post this. Thanks!

73azbronco said:
With fiberglass fenders, there's probably rust issues, just be careful. If it runs good, thats in the ballpark of a reasonable price. Check out the auto tranny, if bad thats an easy $1000-1500 cost.

A girl who wants a bronco, cool. But what does she need? A commuter or a 4x4 wheeler? Just be sure a bronco is what she needs.

tranny check...got it. She has her commuter and her truck...this one is for looks/fun.

Thanks everyone, I have forwarded this thread to her.

apachetech

Loc.
Mountain Home, Idaho

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I don't like that the title says unspecified. Hey, isn't Big Sky Broncos in Montana. Maybe they have a line on a decent runner locally

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't like that the title says unspecified. Hey, isn't Big Sky Broncos in Montana. Maybe they have a line on a decent runner locally

Thanks Ghost. I heard from Steve @ BSB and he doesn't have any bronco leads for us. I've contact a few people locally, like Steve, hoping that we (me or my daughter) might have something to purchase in the near future.;D

Not sure exactly what you are looking for Jane, but here are a few good ones in Idaho you might consider as well.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2986188112.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2951447525.html

The first one is a stocker and looks to be in good condition. The other one looks to have been modified and slightly restored.

The one in Idaho Falls looks ok from the pics but the description leaves some doubts about it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the links apachetech, those look good (like the 2nd one)!

DurtGurl

Loc.
Columbus
Hey everyone. I am Blamejane's daughter. I thought I would join to get in on this thread and get help finding the right bronco for me. I already have a commuter car and a truck. I am just wanting an early years bronco because i was raised in one so I know how great they are and how much fun they are.

My mom posted a link to a 73 bronco I was interested in making an offer on. I read everyones concerns for the ad, the wording of the ad, and the to good to be true price for what the pics look like. So I called the owner and addressed everything I have read from the thread. If you could read what he told me about the ad and the bronco and let me now if you still think it is more of a scam then a good deal. That would be great.....

His answers:
title is clean and clear with two previous owners
the floor boards were replaced because of rust
the fiber glass hood and fenders were on the bronco when he bought it so he isnt sure about rust on those or why they were replaced
there is an oil leak
there is a few bubbles of rust on the winshield frame and a crack on a rear panel seem that has been bondoed
other then those couple of spots it is rust free
he did rewiring but one gauge doesnt work and he isnt sure if its from the wiring or fuse or what not
he said the ad says "c4? transmisson" because he isnt to sure whats in the bronco and thats what he was told
he said he is selling it because he wanted to add things to it and have it as a prodject but has not had any time so he thought he would throw it out there to see what he could get for it.
he said it starts right up and he has had no problms with it and its a clean steal for a bronco

So with all this new information is everyone still leary of this sale

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
the floor boards were replaced because of rust

Depending on how well the job was done their could be hidden rust, you will want to inspect the underside of the truck.

the fiber glass hood and fenders were on the bronco when he bought it so he isnt sure about rust on those or why they were replaced

No big deal, there is no rust there and never will be, I like fiberglass

there is an oil leak

This needs to be checked out by someone that has mechanical knowledge to see how bad the issue is.

there is a few bubbles of rust on the winshield frame and a crack on a rear panel seem that has been bondoed

No big deal there the windshields are rust magnets, they are easy to replace. I would suggest replacing it with the stainless steel windshield if it is in the budget.

he did rewiring but one gauge doesnt work and he isnt sure if its from the wiring or fuse or what not

Thats not that big of a deal

he said the ad says "c4? transmisson" because he isnt to sure whats in the bronco and thats what he was told

It's probably a C6 but either the 4 or the 6 is a decent transmission.

I still think it is a good price if there is not a lot of rust.

When you drive it make sure you let it run for at least 30 minutes, this will ensure that it is not overheating also make sure you are in an area that you can get it up to 60 MPH so you go through all the gears. Stop hard a few times. When you get out let it sit and run for a little while then look under the truck and behind all 4 tires to see if there are any fluids leaking.

I see in your profile pic that you have a young one. If the truck does not have a roll cage then plan on having one put in (about 1-2k) don't put the kids in that truck until you do. Make sure you have a cage not just the one bar over the drivers head. Judging by the pics it does have a cage but I don't know if it is a sport cage or a family cage, if it is a sport and you plan to put the kids in the back consider having it modified to a full family cage. Find out if it has disk or drum brakes, if it is drum you should consider having at least the front switched to disk. The big three safety items are steering, cage and brakes. The steering looks fine from the photos, their is a cage but find out if it is a sport or family cage, and you need to find out about the brakes.

Last edited:

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
It might be kind of a bummer to drive with presumably stock 3.50 axle gearing and 35" tires. My guess is it's pretty sluggish.

You want to check the steering and front suspension closely. Put a jack under the front axle and have someone move the steering wheel to check for play in the tie rod and draglink. Grab the wheels and see if they have any play top to bottom. If they do it has bad ballpoints.

Does it have a disc brake conversion in the front? The braking is going to be scary and pretty borderline if it still has stock drum brakes and 35" tires.

The wiring looks like a mess under the hood. Not a professional job on the "new wiring" at all.

DurtGurl

Loc.
Columbus
It might be kind of a bummer to drive with presumably stock 3.50 axle gearing and 35" tires. My guess is it's pretty sluggish.

You want to check the steering and front suspension closely. Put a jack under the front axle and have someone move the steering wheel to check for play in the tie rod and draglink. Grab the wheels and see if they have any play top to bottom. If they do it has bad ballpoints.

Does it have a disc brake conversion in the front? The braking is going to be scary and pretty borderline if it still has stock drum brakes and 35" tires.

The wiring looks like a mess under the hood. Not a professional job on the "new wiring" at all.

If I end up taking the 5 hour drive to go check it out I will definetly jack it up and check for play.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Even if the steering is shot its still probably not a terrible deal. That stuff can be fixed. You probably don't want to drive it five hours home, though. It should track nice and straight and not wander when you drive it.

Make sure you check the typical rust areas closely. (door posts, door strikers, inner fenders, frame rails in the rear spring area, etc...)

If you buy it you do need a full family-style roll cage to safely transport a child. Then you can mount three point shoulder belts for the front passengers, too.

DurtGurl

Loc.
Columbus
I was planning on having a trailer to tow it home on. I am not framiliar with the commn rust spots on a bronco. What are door strikers? And is the inner fender the same as under the wheel well?

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I have been drooling over this bronco...

Having mine down is killing me and starting to think I should sell mine to buy it or try and trade it...

Please buy it before I do something stupid lol

A seller always hides something...
For me it looks like the wiring is not routed very well so makes me worried he cut corners or didn't wire everything up. Not a big deal but dose hider the price.
But I'm not sure if he did or not..just going off of one photo.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
The striker posts are the areas that hold the door latches. You can google these terms and see some photos. Both door posts rust on these trucks. The kick panels beneath the dash and along the side rust as well. Behind the rear wheel wells is another spot. Rocker panels beneath the doors, too. You'll find the inner fenders under the hood. These trucks always rust on the sides up near the firewall and beneath the battery tray.

If you note all the rust areas and mechanical issues you can use that as leverage to talk the seller down on price. Ou hold try to find a knowledgeable Bronco owner from the area to help you look for issues.

This truck has a pretty big lift so you should see if it has extended driveshafts, too. They shouldn't have a ton of the splines showing. Ask if it has a lowered track bar mount and 7 degree bushings in the frontend, too. You're trying to avoid funky suspension geometry.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I was planning on having a trailer to tow it home on. I am not framiliar with the commn rust spots on a bronco. What are door strikers? And is the inner fender the same as under the wheel well?

It's the area where the door latch holds on to. So it is the side opposite to the side the hinges hook onto.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Take your time Durtgurl, all good things come to those who wait. There are some fairly nice Broncos in our classifieds also.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Someone in the area needs to go with you to look at it if you get that far. I know there has to be a bronco brother or sister out there close enough to put eyes on this. I might have missed it in an earlier resonse but I would also be cautious of the rear quarter that has been bondo'd as they are also notorious areas for rust.

As ghost said, take your time, there are plenty out there, so don't rush for a "good deal" there are usually reasons they are a "good deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.