• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flare cop

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
I remember these flares on a couple of different rigs from Iceland. Never did find out who makes them though.

Attachments

• 125_2502.jpg
    125_2502.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 106

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It wasn't OSP Officer Ratcliff was it? That guy got me for mudflaps a while back. He seemed to enjoy giving those types of tickets. In Oregon, the rule for mudflaps is that the lowest part of the body/bumper behind the rear tires must not be any higher than 20" from the ground or else they're required. Mudflaps aren't required up front for any reason.

I'd personally go with the Silverbacks and increase the backspacing accordingly if it still looks like it won't be enough to pass the letter of the law and avoid your fix-it ticket. You would think it would be adequate to just cover the tread portion of the tire...but what do I know? Damn those Interco side lugs. :p

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I made my own. I heard about gettin tickets for stuff like that, so we made a set. They cover ther entire 33x12.50 and it only took a weekend to do. If you go look at my build thread (captain crunch) you can see them. I got the idea while watchin an episode of Muscle Car on spike tv when they built the flares for the road race mustang.

OP
OP
R

Robert_L

Loc.
South Coast, OR.
Hey Apogee the troopers name was Smith, said he was new to the area. This was just outside of Coos Bay. He was decent about it but this came at a bad time for me. Good to know about the mudflaps too, even though he didn't say anything about them. I will probably make some quick detachable.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, still not sure which direction to go. I would really like the silverbacks and space accordingly but I don't have 400 bucks right now. Once I do decide watch for a set of bushwhackers to go up for sale.
Thanks again,
Robert

Ranger345

Loc.
Omaha, Ne
I really dont know why you have to start name dropping the Trooper that gave you the violation card or ticket? It really doesnt matter if he new to the area or been there for 10 years! The fact is he had probable cause to stop you and he did. Get it fixed and shouldnt have anymore more problems.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Flare Pics

untitled1.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled3.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really dont know why you have to start name dropping the Trooper that gave you the violation card or ticket? It really doesnt matter if he new to the area or been there for 10 years! The fact is he had probable cause to stop you and he did. Get it fixed and shouldnt have anymore more problems.

Relax. If anybody started name dropping it was me, and while it wasn't my intention to start name dropping in the negative sense as you seem to think it was, I was just curious if it was the same OSP officer that ticketed me. I just reread through the thread and I don't see any disrespect towards any law enforcement personnel one way or the other. I don't think anyone has said the officer was out of line or didn't have probably cause...this is chat, so we're chatting. :cool:

PS - If anybody does get pulled over by Officer Ratcliff, tell him hello for me. Nice guy. He might remember me if you remind him about the dispatch error that tagged my Ford as a Mazda...luckily it was sorted out before the body cavity search began. %)

Tobin

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your EB isn't a daily driver... Why not get some stock rims and tires from a u-pull-it yard. Put them on and take it to get reinspected. Then put the old ones back on.
I know of a guy that did that here in Maryland. Got the ticket, put a set of rims and tires borrowed from me and then the old ones went back on after taking it to the police barracks.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Bitch'n those are some big flairs. Crap! are you finished with them 'cause I'd like to see the finished product. I assume you are going to lay up glass and gel coat them. Are you molding them into the body?
With a glass flair that wide will you need any internal bracing?

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Bitch'n those are some big flairs. Crap! are you finished with them 'cause I'd like to see the finished product. I assume you are going to lay up glass and gel coat them. Are you molding them into the body?
With a glass flair that wide will you need any internal bracing?

Not done with 'em yet, but yes they got glassed (silver tape keeps the foam from melting while the resin cures) and gel coat and block sanding is coming. They are molded to the body and they will get aluminum supports and they will mount like regular flares in case they dont work out. They are pretty big, but the entire tire is covered (out to the edge of the tread, not including the side wall). It'll prolly be a little while until they are finished since I am goin back to school next week. If enough people like 'em, we're thinkin about mass producin 'em.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I'd probably go with the lawn edging or the old fashioned DIY rubber flares (if that stuff still exists) too: screwed every few inches into the underside lip of the existing flares. Should be "permanent" enough to pass inspection but easy enough to remove for use and much cheaper than new rims, flares, etc... If you want, ultimately, to have full coverage flares then this might just be a fix to buy some time until you have the $$$/solution you want and you wouldn't have done any visible damage to the existing flares.

I don't see how something like that would be any different than having to de-tune my '73 to the point that it barely runs just to pass the emissions test, then retuning to drive home.