• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flares Cuts

Bronco_Chick

We bought my bronco about a year ago, and the fender flares were already after-market. The problem is that the previous owner made the rear cuts too far back, but just slightly. To prevent tire rub he also cut part of the fender flare off. Is there any way to move the fender flares forward to the correct location?

Thanks

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I think your best bet would be to buy BIGGER like gorilla war flares and place them where you want them. By the time you center them you will be able to trim more off of the front edge and get your look just right. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. The war flares are big but still look pretty good with 32 or 33 inch tires. OR, you could add a small section to the rear edge and then re-cut to make them centered but that would require some body work and painting.

My personal opinion would be going to war flares. They look nice, durable, and would allow you room for bigger tires in the future. Below picture is war flare with 33 inch tire and no lift. See, it doesn't make the tires look too small and it doesn't make the opening too big.

Attachments

• Img_0829.jpg
    Img_0829.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 135

Blackstar

Bronco_Chick said:
We bought my bronco about a year ago, and the fender flares were already after-market. The problem is that the previous owner made the rear cuts too far back, but just slightly. To prevent tire rub he also cut part of the fender flare off. Is there any way to move the fender flares forward to the correct location?

Thanks

Good grief i know this "chick"...here is a pic of her rig and the problem she is describing.

Attachments

• Driver's-side-1.gif
    Driver's-side-1.gif
    149.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Passenger-side-1.gif
    Passenger-side-1.gif
    146.3 KB · Views: 84

720Racer

Loc.
Auburn
What kind of flares are those? They look like they might be war flares. If not, I'd replace them with war flares, and if they are, you might try to un screw the front and bend them forward to clear the tires.

Galen

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Thanks for those pics. After seeing them I would say the war flares would fix the problem and would be cheaper than welding and bodywork and painting. Compare this picture and I think the war flares would do the trick. :) My flares in this picture are 48 inches from tip to tip.

Attachments

• war flares.jpg
    war flares.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 87

72moore

Agree

2badrotties said:
Thanks for those pics. After seeing them I would say the war flares would fix the problem and would be cheaper than welding and bodywork and painting. Compare this picture and I think the war flares would do the trick. :) My flares in this picture are 48 inches from tip to tip.
I agree the war flares would fix it. ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Warflares can be used to get the flares centered but nothing you do will take up the extra space until you put larger tires in there. They already look small the way the flares are now and will look even smaller once the flares are installed. Do you plan to run bigger tires? If so then the Warflares are probably the best option. If not then I would consider one of two options. First is to move some sheetmetal as has already been suggested. Second would be to get aftermarket lower quarter panels and completely replace the ones on yours. I would probably do the whole lower quarters myself as it will probably take less work to get them lined up than it will to try and get the panels straight by moving sheetmetal around.

Hmmm.... There is yet another option. You could move the rearend back far enough to center it as well. Less bodywork but it would require more modification underneith. All of the spring hangers would need to be moved, The cross member may need to be notched, And a longer driveline would be needed. There are probably a few other things that would need to be done as well. The choice about doing this would depend a lot on where you want to go with your EB. If you want to keep it basically stock then it probably isn't a project worth considering. If you have studied the pros and cons of a longer wheelbase then it might be worth looking at.

Last edited:

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Those look like Bushwacker Dura-Flex Flares. The standard ones are 46 inches. The Extended ones are 49 3/4" long. Thats almost 4 inches longer. This would match your front one.(if you have them)

Check out JBG website.

Here is a pic of the extended ones
66EXFENDERFLARE.JPG

Blackstar

once again gentlemen you have nailed the problem. Got out a tape measure and the current flares are only 44 inches tip to tip. I think that if we upgrade to the larger flares the problem would resolve itself.