• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fenderwell Headers with Steering Shaft

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
So I have 1 3/4" fenderwell headers. All is installed and the steering shaft is hitting the headers. I have the aftermarket lower shaft with dual u joints. I am going to try to move the motor but I dont think it would be enough.

Anyone ever had to move the steering column? Maybe just the lower end a bit?

Also maybe a smaller aftermarket column?

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 154

68ford

Bronco Guru
Heads have raised ports? I highly doubt anyone on here will be much help. Very little people have fenderwell headers let alone that brand with that size primary tubes. Any way to raise where the column comes through the firewall a little to buy you some room?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That motor will be putting out some good horsepower
So not an expert. But could notch the primary tube that is hitting the steering shaft or in a small section weld in a smaller diameter section of tube. You will making good HP and TQ so I doubt it will be noticed.
Or of course a BFH but the set up looks to nice for that

It s always something

House

Minutia Militia
Would it clear if you extended the straight part of the shaft out further?

wookie650

What if you you add a third u-joint and make the lower shaft two pieces. Have the lower shaft come out towards the wheel well and then back to the steering box. Looks like there is more clearance by kicking it towards the driver side instead of straight over the header. Probably need a support somewhere, maybe off the frame and up to support the shaft.

Hopefully this makes sense and doesn't sound goofy. Moving the motor sounds like a lot of work. Just throwing out ideas. Might spark a better idea from someone else.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
MY guess is that I will have to first try to move the engine bay side of the column a bit to clear. If not I may have to move the entire column over just a bit. Dont think it will be a huge issue just wondering if anyone else had seen things like this.

Yes raised port heads and only 1" body lift. Don't really want a two section shaft. Last option.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
If by raising the steering wheel end up an inch will result in a change in the shaft angle enough to work....then the easiest way to do that would be to use a 2' body lift...

OR.... lift the steering box higher with a robust bracket ( should be easy to make)

OR... look for a steering box with the dimensions that work better...

OR... shorter motor mounts...If lowering the motor is necessary

OR...some combination of the four...

Put a wooden dowel (straight rod) thru so we can see the angle off set better..

Aloha

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Not on that yet. Had spent some time on the timing and some wiring. i am thinking I can remove the fire wall bracket and move either that end of the column or the entire column over just a bit and clear but not sure yet.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have a set of mounts that I made with bushings.

I got it to work last night. I removed the firewall mount and redrilled the holes 9/16" over. This put the column over far enough so that it will clear. Not sure how that is going to feel driving yet and if it is weird then I will have to rethink again.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
So I have 1 3/4" fenderwell headers. All is installed and the steering shaft is hitting the headers. I have the aftermarket lower shaft with dual u joints. I am going to try to move the motor but I dont think it would be enough.

Anyone ever had to move the steering column? Maybe just the lower end a bit?

Also maybe a smaller aftermarket column?

headers look great do you have the manufacture / part number? how's the steering link coming along?