• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally doing it. engine swap.

wappas90

Im sure this has been asked 1,000 times but theres a lot of differed opinions on this. I have a 1976 bronco and Im looking for a daily driver quality long block I currently have a beater 351 W but im all ears about all different kinds of engines. I am highly interested in the coyote 5.0 but is it worth the trouble? I would like it to be fuel injected as well.
Thanks again,
Bennett

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've love my 351W...wouldn't mind if it was a 393, 408 or 427 stroker though. Let us know what the rest of your specs are with respect to transmission, transfer case, gears, tire size, etc, as well as your expectations with respect to performance, otherwise the responses are going to be all over the board.

While I like the Coyote and other mod-motors, I don't think they're that much better to justify the added cost and PITA factor involved in performing such a swap.

OP
OP
W

wappas90

c4 tranny (willing to change) which i obviously would need to change for maximum performace from the 'yote but other than that factory transfer case, gears, and 33 inch tires. Reliability comes before horsepower but I would like for it to be over 250 horse if possible. All in all im looking for a fuel injected, reliable long block set up. Thanks again

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Stock 351W (roller cam) from 1996 E350 van was 210HP at 3800RPM. With some tuning go fast parts and head work, 250hp is a mark that can be hit and I bet it will cost you far less than the "yote" swap. A stock 302 from a 1990 Mustang GT was 225HP.

I'm in the middle of a 302 to 351W EFI swap. The motor is at the machine shop now getting cleaned up. I picked up a GT-40 lower (cast iron marine version) and got the GT-40 upper along with T-body and Mass sensor off a 1996 Explorer last Monday.

I still have a few things to figure out like which EFI (SD or Mass Air) and how to wire the distributor I have, which wiring harness etc. but it's coming together.

Tim

OP
OP
W

wappas90

great ill look at those. and your EFI swap sounds real nice. thanks for the help

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I bought a complete 1996 E350 van for $800. Trying to use as many of the van parts as possible. The front dress should fit in the Bronco so that a plus and I think I can use the distributor and remote TFI module. The 351W had normal ware on it and I could have gotten way with just a re-ring but I'm getting it punched 20 over because the price difference is only the pistons. I'm still flip flopping on EFI. I have the complete wiring harness for the SD system on the van but considering a conversion to Mass Air so I can run a few upgrades.

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
c4 tranny (willing to change) which i obviously would need to change for maximum performace from the 'yote but other than that factory transfer case, gears, and 33 inch tires. Reliability comes before horsepower but I would like for it to be over 250 horse if possible. All in all im looking for a fuel injected, reliable long block set up. Thanks again

With that additional info, the 'yote isn't the best fit for your application IMHO. The flat torque curve of the 351W will provide a more fun to drive rig than the Mod motors will, even at 210 HP. Now if you wanted a high-rpm screamer and planned to drive it accordingly, one could make the argument for the Coyote, however it would still be more cost effective to do a 302/347 build at that point.

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
The Coyote is a beast. I have a 2014 Mustang GT with 3.73 gears, and it will scream. The variable cam timing of the Coyote gives it a tremendous advantage over push rod engines as far as broadening the power curve. That being said, the cost and difficulty in doing a swap like that would be tremendous. The difficulty level of any Windsor swap will be much easier and cheaper. The 302 is what it is, and can be made to produce respectable power. For ease and cost it's tough to beat. You can drop a 5.0 from a Mustang or Explorer in with EFI, and you have a nice fun reliable daily driver, with respectable power. OTOH the 351W is a torque monster compared to the 302. Stroke = Torque. The entire displacement difference between a 302 and a 351W is all stroke length, so naturally it makes way more torque. The swap would be a little more costly mostly due to the fact that it isn't a direct bolt in. The 351W deck is taller than the 302 and that requires a few different parts and some fabrication. Me personally I'm planning on doing the Explorer EFI, 4r70W transmission. I'm looking for a nice reliable driver with decent power. Good luck with your build.

OP
OP
W

wappas90

thank you so much No1hedberg. I currently have an old 351 w but I am looking for a more modern fuel injected engine and the explorer set up seems like a great option. thanks!

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
You could stroke the 351W and put a fuel injection system on it. Everything would bolt right back in place as far as transmission, exhaust etc..

decipha

Loc.
New Orleans
I'd probably tell you as far as ease, availability, and output

its hard to beat a 351w, just slap a nice set of heads on it, retard the stock cam 4 degrees and be done

read this when you get a chance, will give you a lot of good info you might not be aware of

http://info.efidynotuning.com/pre.htm

decipha

Loc.
New Orleans
Stock 351W (roller cam) from 1996 E350 van was 210HP at 3800RPM. With some tuning go fast parts and head work, 250hp is a mark that can be hit and I bet it will cost you far less than the "yote" swap. A stock 302 from a 1990 Mustang GT was 225HP

stock for stock both of those engines make the same power ~190rwhp

rguest3

Bronco Guru
Here would be my ultimate 351w build for a daily driven Early Bronco.

351w F4TE Roller Block - 94-97
Comp Cam XE258HR-12 Roller Cam
AFR 165cc Aluminum Heads
Lightning Lower Intake, GT-40 Upper
9.6-10:1 Compression Pistons

Pick a Hydraulic Cam that is similar for your earlier block.

Night and day difference from current 302 performance. Pretty straight forward conversion.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Plan

Here would be my ultimate 351w build for a daily driven Early Bronco.

351w F4TE Roller Block - 94-97
Comp Cam XE258HR-12 Roller Cam
AFR 165cc Aluminum Heads
Lightning Lower Intake, GT-40 Upper
9.6-10:1 Compression Pistons

Pick a Hydraulic Cam that is similar for your earlier block.

Night and day difference from current 302 performance. Pretty straight forward conversion.

Here is my plan with parts I already have

351w F4TE Roller Block
Roller Cam - havent picked one yet will consider yours
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Edelbrock Performer car upper and 351W lower
Budget rebuild.
Debating on using 95 truck front dress with van Saginaw bracket or 94-95 Mustang short front dress with a custom Saginaw bracket.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
How are you matching the Edelbrock Upper to the 351w lower intake?

The BC adaptor is only for the Ford 351w stock lower and Ford 5.0 Non GT-40 upper, for example.

77RHINO

I'm still in the assembly process on my 351, hopefully will be wrapping it up soon:

'96 F4TE block .030 over
KB flat top pistons
Comp 266HR-12 cam
Performer Intake
GT40X heads
scorpion roller rockers
WH long tube headers

Ill be staying carb'd bc I'd like for the mods to be somewhat era-correct. After I am finished, if anything fails I should be able to know exactly what happened and what it'll take to fix it. adds some reliability points and has been a fun learning experience for me.