• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First post, first Bronco, first questions

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
Your engine looks like a later one too? 66 door hinges have the counter sunk screws. That means that the hinges should be counter sunk. 66 door handles and window cranks don't have the same mounting screws as the later ones. Your look like 67-68's. Those head light rings are not 66 either.
Rick should have a passenger side 66 door with no lock. The red one that he got from me.

OP
OP
SpinalTap

SpinalTap

Loc.
Northern VA
Your engine looks like a later one too? 66 door hinges have the counter sunk screws. That means that the hinges should be counter sunk. 66 door handles and window cranks don't have the same mounting screws as the later ones. Your look like 67-68's. Those head light rings are not 66 either.
Rick should have a passenger side 66 door with no lock. The red one that he got from me.

Arggh. Guess we have a hybrid on our hands. We'll make the best of it. Thanks to all who replied.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your doors appear to be later ones. The wing window handles are later style than even the '67s. But the driver's side window crank and door handle are '66. The passenger side window crank is '66 but the lift handle is '67.

I agree that the motor appears to be later. The radiator is non '66. The fill spout should be "off center".

broncorick

'66 door

Yep that one has no lock and I have/had another one as well....and of course the roadsters have no door locks on either side :);D

broncorick

Maybe it was assembled on a Monday morning first thing after a holiday weekend

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
being from fordsix.com/forums... it looks like you have a 200ci!!! woot, a stroked 170 :)

the good, 30 extra cubes, you also have a larger log head giving more air and power, and instead of 4 main bearings it has 7 main bearings, making a smoother and better power curve (so says ford documentation) :D

the ignition looks like a 74-8? DSII, it's the best IMO, the radiator is just a simple replacement, probably a 3 core, originally a 2 core.

it looks like they kept the 170 exhaust manifold, also carb hat, but that carb looks like a carter YF, not the autolite 1100 it should have, but that's expected as the carb bore changed from 1.5 inch to 1.75 in 69

the great news, is that your 200 fits EXACTLY the same way as the 170. everything is the same, except the height of course. so if you really wanted to go 170, it will bolt in place even to the trans it's using, BUT the flywheel will be different. the 170 uses a recessed 8.5 inch clutch, the 200 can use it but it's common to go the standard flat 9 inch clutch. so you won't know until you tear into it. but it will use the same starter, belhousing, trans...

I will check my 66 doors and see if there is a key hole on the pass side.... I honestly think they just used a later handle on the door as it's cheaper than the 66 handle.

EDIT: taking a 2nd look at the engine, try and count how many freeze plugs you got on the passenger side... 3 = 170ci 5 = 200ci

It's possible they just swapped the head over and grabbed all the other good stuff to help improve hp and mileage

68BroncoNC

Loc.
Burlington, NC
Hmm

I think you should just run from this project...Its going to be wayy too much work, effort, money and headaches!! just get rid of it now!...Now that being said, I could take it off your hands and give it a nice home....;D

Best of luck with it...welcome