• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fitting sizes for internal tranny cooler and 4R70W tranny?

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I have a radiator ordered from Duff and I asked them what the fitting sizes were on the efi radiator. The response I got was it's the "standard sizes". Also looking for the fitting sizes for the 4R70W. I want to covert to AN fittings and custom hoses.

Thanks.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
3/8" on the 4R70W and probably 1/4 " on the radiator. I just did the tranny lines and bought 2 60" pieces of 3/8" steel line with male ends. I bent them to match the shape of the forward C4 line and they were perfect. I used 3/8" Female to 1/4" Male adapters (Lowes) for the radiator.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,,,, the 5.0 style aluminum radiator purchased from duff's a few years ago does have 1/4"NPT threads ,,,,was made by AFCO then not sure if they are still the same

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 4R70W has 5/16 IFF (Inverted Female Flare) fittings. Standard 5/16 steel hard line from a parts store fits just fine.

I think you would need a part like Russel 640330 to convert to AN-6.
Aeroquip has some other fittings like FBM1382 that may adapt the hose directly to a inverted flare fitting.
Earls has 991946ERL in blue anodized Alluminium and 961946ERL in steel that adapt 5/16 inverted flare to AN-6 as well
Goodridge 185001 I think is the same adapter as well.

As for the radiator side, that can be almost anything. Mine is 1/8" pipe thread. Others mentioned 1/4" pipe thread. My Ron Davis comes with adapters for what ever AN fitting you want (at least when you order an EOC and use it for transmission)

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
My 97 Mountaineer 4R70W must be an oddball, because I just made the lines on Tuesday and they definately were 3/8 flare. The original lines from my C4 were 5/16 and were too small.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
3/8" on the 4R70W and probably 1/4 " on the radiator. I just did the tranny lines and bought 2 60" pieces of 3/8" steel line with male ends. I bent them to match the shape of the forward C4 line and they were perfect. I used 3/8" Female to 1/4" Male adapters (Lowes) for the radiator.

Hmmmm. Did you have to cut the lines down and re-flare them? If not, I"m coming by this weekend if your around and bend mine to match ;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My 97 Mountaineer 4R70W must be an oddball, because I just made the lines on Tuesday and they definately were 3/8 flare. The original lines from my C4 were 5/16 and were too small.

Come to think of it, I may be thinking C4. I left the Bronco at work so I can't check right now. The more I think about it, I bet you are right.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Hmmmm. Did you have to cut the lines down and re-flare them? If not, I"m coming by this weekend if your around and bend mine to match ;)

With 60" lines (already had the male 3/8" flare ends), I did not have to cut and re-flare them. By matching the bends from the forward C4 line, they were a perfect fit.