• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing faded flares

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I found a trick by mistake today while heating my duraflex(The plastic looking ones) flares to bend them to make room for my 35's. I was using a propane torch to get the flares warm enought to get them to bend easy. Where the heat hit the flare is made them shiney and almost new looking. You can see a close up of the difference it made. The faded area is on the left and the heated side on the right.

Please don't catch you flare on fire trying this. Heat them don't burn them.

Attachments

• DSC02032 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02032 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02033 (Medium) (2).JPG
    DSC02033 (Medium) (2).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02034 (Medium) (2).JPG
    DSC02034 (Medium) (2).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 94

72Sport

Bronco Guru
A safer way is to use a product called 303. I put it on by flares and tires. It makes the white marks go away when you spill gas on the flares.

I just replaced a pair set of 12 year old tires that I used 303 on. The sidewalls looked like the day I put them on. The only part that showed any cracking was in the tread area where I didn't use it. The only disadvantage to the stuff it attracts dirt.

You can buy it at Summit and some boat shops. Its a little pricey but awesome stuff. Everyone that I know that has tried it has been using it for years.

I would keep the torch away from the gas caps. I am not sure what the equivalent amount of dynamite a gallon of gas is equal to but I know it is scary.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
thats cool shining with fire who woulda thought---------another vote for----I been using 303 protectant for several years & it is far and above all the other armorall type products-It truly resists suns UV damage & is well worth the money---

OP
OP
Broncoman

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
does this 303 wash off in the rain like armorall? I am going to do all my flares with the heat so they will match my rear

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Broncoman said:
does this 303 wash off in the rain like armorall? I am going to do all my flares with the heat so they will match my rear

It doesn't seem to wash off in the rain or squirting it with a hose. It seems to soak into the tires and make them shine. The more applications the more the shine. I think it takes a little soap and water to get it off.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I also use the 303 on my kayaking drytop seals. Stuff is awesome - keeps the rubber seals soft and pliable after repeated water and sun exposure.

Jeff

OP
OP
Broncoman

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I would have used a heat gun if I had one. I had to make do. I didn't put the flame on the flare. I stayed away so it was pretty much like a heat gun. The flame was about 5 inches or more from the flare. It was a quick easy fix at midnight to make my new tires fit better.
It wasn't as risky as you guys make it out to be.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Broncoman said:
I would have used a heat gun if I had one. I had to make do. I didn't put the flame on the flare. I stayed away so it was pretty much like a heat gun. The flame was about 5 inches or more from the flare. It was a quick easy fix at midnight to make my new tires fit better.
It wasn't as risky as you guys make it out to be.

Heheh! Well, you probably did just fine with the torch, but I try and make things idiot proof. All I need is a pretty girl to walk by, or a shiny object to sparkle in my periphery and I'm smokin' paint. ;D