• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flames

White Knight

Contributor
I was thinking of getting ghost flames on my white rig--perhaps black grill and fade as is goes over the hood and the side to a platinum silver and have the silver fade outlined in black (subtle- nothing flashy) anyone have pics of flames on broncos?

Attachments

• bronco 1.jpg
    bronco 1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 83

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Bronco Driver Mag had several pages of flamed Broncs in one of thier mags. Can't find it right now though, sorry.

derrick1032

Loc.
Calgary, Canada
I personally would like to see some real time flames,like these I painted on my inner doors

Attachments

• airbrush.jpg
    airbrush.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 131

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
those panels are sweeeet. You got any more, I'd like a set of blue flamers if you were interested in making a few extra bucks. I have a pair of panels I could send you to paint.

colobronco

derrick1032 said:
I personally would like to see some real time flames,like these I painted on my inner doors

"Real time" sounds bad, i had them once, and alot of smoke too. ;D at least the bronco did make it home with some new wireing.

It is amazing what some people can do with them flames. make them look so real. makes me jelous, i'm not and artist unless it has square corners. i read a story about some one that had flames like them on the door, but on the hood and fenders, and he said once in a while people would yell at thim that his truck was on fire.

Brian

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
Ben,

Just getting home from work and the boys baseball practice. I am trying to stay home tomorrow and hopefully try and pull off getting down there to slap that bad boy on and see what it looks like.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PDXBronco said:
those panels are sweeeet. You got any more, I'd like a set of blue flamers if you were interested in making a few extra bucks. I have a pair of panels I could send you to paint.

sounds like a new product;D has anyone seen the bag o flames from house of kolor you can paint your own flames http://www.hokpaint.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=truefire.bbx could not find the url for bag o flames anyhow i think the ghost flames will look good if you match them to your wheels (like metallic silver) or white pearl

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Here's my 72.

Attachments

• My Bronco.JPG
    My Bronco.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 30

minimatt

I tried doing ghost flames (silver) on a white Tundra and took them back off within an hour of unmasking them. I also wanted the subtle look, but with white as the base color, there is no way to make them subtle like you can with a charcoal or silver base color (or just about any other color). Black to silver fade with black pinstripe over white basecoat will not be subtle. I'm not saying it won't look good, just saying nobody will miss it when they see you coming.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
You might want to try getting some white pearlecent (like the escalade has) and then flame it so you cant see 'em until you walk up to it. They have a pretty sweet custom look. What I would do if I were you is go to the paint shop, and ask them to shoot some samples for you. Good Luck! Show us what it looks like when you are done.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
minimatt said:
I tried doing ghost flames (silver) on a white Tundra and took them back off within an hour of unmasking them. I also wanted the subtle look, but with white as the base color, there is no way to make them subtle like you can with a charcoal or silver base color (or just about any other color). Black to silver fade with black pinstripe over white basecoat will not be subtle. I'm not saying it won't look good, just saying nobody will miss it when they see you coming.

To do Silver ghost flames on white it would be easy. You need a whole lot of binder and a VERY small amount of silver. If you were to mix 10 ounces then maybe .5 of an ounce will be silver and metallic additive the rest is binder or in Speis is 299. On the 3 stage Escalade that Bitchin'Bronco metioned you put down a white base, then a mid coat, then clear. In my opinion you might want to try a blue or red pearl on white. You will only need one coat of silver or pearl, the more you put on the less subtle it will be. Even if you follow the formula for the mid coat on a 3 stage you will still want more binder to get the ghost apperance.
The best way to do it so you hardly feel a tape line is to 800 the panels you are doing the flame job on and then scuff it with a grey Scotchbrite. Degrease it, lay out the flames, tack it off, spray the flames then unmask. Tack again, then 2 coats of clear.
If you PM me I can get your address and I will make a spray out for you when I get a chance at work.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
That wouldn't make a differrence at all but I think a pearl would look better than a metallic, especially on a 3 stage like he has.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bitch'nBronco said:
thegreatjustino are those Michale Lovallie flames?

I have no idea where that picture was taken. Someone posted it here in the off topic lounge about three years ago. I want to say it was Nick of Nixtrix, but I can't recall for sure. I thought it was so cool, I kept a copy.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
We painted some "ghost" pearl flames on my Brother's '76 FLH (Harley for those that don't know). His fenders & tank were pearl white (used silver pearl in clear over white) and we used blue pearl in clear for the flames. We actually added the flames months after the original paintjob 'cuz my Brother wanted to add some interest. Very subtle and came out great. I did the original paint work but we had someone with actual talent do the flame work.