• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flywheel teeth count?

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
Have a stupid question.

My '74 with a 302 and C4, is there an easy way to tell the tooth count of my flywheel?

Ks65stang

Yes, count. Remove inspection plate. Its only 2 bolts. I marked off sections of 10 teeth with a sharpie. Mines was a 164 tooth. I'm swapping in a newer roller block 1995 302 so I needed to buy a replacement 50oz flexplate for my C4 / 302 combo. Only issue was my old torque converter was 10.5" bolt pattern and all the 50oz patterns are 11.5 (actually 11.4) so I had to request that my transmission shop order the correct converter. FYI. Good luck.

FYI, I went to Pitt State too, graduated in 2004.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If everything is stock, 164 tooth 10.5" bolt circle unicorn flexplate that is no longer available.

But most people don't have a full history of what has happened over the past 40+ years.

Pitt state class of '96

OP
OP
sbolejack

sbolejack

Loc.
Rogers, AR
I was trying not to have to count them.;). I graduated in '88. Where are you currently located?

Yes, count. Remove inspection plate. Its only 2 bolts. I marked off sections of 10 teeth with a sharpie. Mines was a 164 tooth. I'm swapping in a newer roller block 1995 302 so I needed to buy a replacement 50oz flexplate for my C4 / 302 combo. Only issue was my old torque converter was 10.5" bolt pattern and all the 50oz patterns are 11.5 (actually 11.4) so I had to request that my transmission shop order the correct converter. FYI. Good luck.

FYI, I went to Pitt State too, graduated in 2004.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Speaking of Broncos and Pitt State, one of the old automotive professors (Robert Frisbee) was known to have a bronco or two stashed away in California. For the longest time someone in the printing school had a Bronco as a daily driver. Very nice original one. That was true 25 years ago, and they were on this board at one time, a very long time ago.