• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? for Frame off restoration experts...

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Okay the truck is really close to being painted and I have been thinking the last couple of days as to if I should have the body popped off and have the frame done.

I am so close yo a frame off (only the body mounts are left) it just makes sense to push forward with the body off step.

Now I am a little confused as to what color the underside of the body (tub) should be painted. Should it be the same color as the car or black like the frame?

Thanks for the advise and attached are a few pics.

Attachments

• bronco 009.jpg
    bronco 009.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 73
  • bronco 010.jpg
    bronco 010.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 73

BYUBRONC

Loc.
Bermuda Dunes, CA
Looks Great. I'm no frame off expert, but I would say you've done a great job already, if you have the means and space go for it. I wish I could have. Later I will, so I'll have to undo everything I've done (SUCKS!!!). I would also undercoat the bottom it for noise, heat, and rust protection. Or you could use Herculiner, for rust and noise, don't know about heat.

doran4x

Contributor
Having the frame done really helps in clean up when working under the truck. Whenever I'm under mine I take a rag and wipe down the frame rails to keep it somewhat clean. It makes for a nicer work area.

Tom :cool:

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
so does anyone have input on the color of the bottom side of the tub... black or the color of the car?

What was it out of the factory?

Thanks,

Matt

kntr

Bronco Guru
The underside should be black. They were a copper color stock.

Take the body off. You are so close. You will regret it later if you dont.

Last edited:

GnisroH

Loc.
Harrisonburg, VA
I say black. There are a lot of Broncos painted the same color on the underside, and it looks a little off.%) I prefer the contrast of the black wheel wells to the exterior paint.

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
Just go ahead and pull the body tub... You can replace the body mounts and hardware while you're at it!
What color are you painting the truck? Unless you are doing a concourse resto, paint the underbelly black or body color... It's realy just personal preferance at this point. My .02 -E

frdbronco73

im using durabak on the bottom of mine. I wasn't going to pull the tub off but i said what the heck i've gone this far why not complete it the right way. the frame i had it sandblasted primed and painted semi-gloss black for $450. well worth the money rather than doing it myself.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I pulled my body off and did the underneath the same as the body color. Just do it the way that YOU like though..............

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Then black it is... it already has new body mounts but I figure that since everything is brand new (and I mean everything) on this I would pissed at myself if I just didn't go forward and pull the body off and finish this project correctly.

It's funny... when I first got the truck I was just going to do a few things to it and have fun with it. well that went out the window. I am afraid to total up all the receipts and labor charges.

Hopefully now at this point I will have it back in a month and start putting it all back together. Maybe by the end of summer it will be done.

Matt

Baja71

Bronco Guru
so does anyone have input on the color of the bottom side of the tub... black or the color of the car?

What was it out of the factory?

Thanks,

Matt

The underside was actually a rust colored primer. The color coat just did not completely cover the bottom side (or even the wheel wells sometimes). How close to original do you want to go? Most people just use the body color, or if you're doing a resto-mod and like the black, then go that way, but it wasn't factory.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have always liked body color underneath. It makes a great background to show all of the work you have done on the frame, fuel lines, axles, and the rest of the drivetrain. Black underneath kinda makes everything underneth blend in . Its really what you like best though. Here are a couple of pics of body color underneath I got off the net.
Blue71

Attachments

• 51_3.jpeg
    51_3.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 68
  • b2_3.jpeg
    b2_3.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 76

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have always liked body color underneath. It makes a great background to show all of the work you have done on the frame, fuel lines, axles, and the rest of the drivetrain. Black underneath kinda makes everything underneth blend in . Its really what you like best though. Here are a couple of pics of body color underneath I got off the net.
Blue71

I aagree. I think it makes it look professional. Spraying everything black makes it look like something is being covered up. Lighter colors underneath and in the engine compartment also make it easier to see things when you are working on it. I'm going to paint "SEND HELP" on the bottom of my fuel tank guard.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
as said, the underside was sprayed in red oxide primer from the factory. they didn't even cover the entire tub w/it, leaving the galvanized metal uncovered. some vehicles were sprayed with undercoat also. they only seemed to be sprayed in the vicinity of the wheel wells though.

on my resto's i will por the undercarriage and then apply herculiner or similar. it looks good and is protective. paint looks good but isn't very durable, especially if the vehicle is really gonna see some use. it is too easy to have rock chip and other damage.

OsideDave

Hey, I recognize that shop in the pix. Same place that painted my Bronco! George is a great guy (even though he's a chevy guy). Gotta love his race truck!

It's funny that you posted this question as yesterday I was thinking the same thing while working on my bronco. The paint and body looks nice but the frame and undercarriage are pretty dirty and original. I have been reading on the site here about the frame off's and now kinda wished I would have done one. I say do it if you've got the $, time and space, especially since you are so close to taking the bod off anyway. Another thing I want to do is rhino line the interior. The new paint is already scratched on the interior from 3 trips on it, camping gear, tools, beer cans, etc... tend to move around when wheelin'. My friend in San Marcos is gonna do his soon so I am thing if we go in together w/ 2 broncs that we can get sometype of discount. Maybe you can join us.

I'll have to stop by and check out your bronc.

Big Rig

Loc.
San Diego, CA
matt,

i think you made the right choice; black looks best on the underside.

btw,you have a very understanding wife.

kntr

Bronco Guru
I have changed my mind after seeing the pics. You are right. It looks better when the underside is painted to match!!! Mine is going in real soon for a frame off at Hardcore Customs. Thanks for the idea!