• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

??? for the bodywork guys

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Should you wet sand your basecoat before you apply the clearcoat or just leave it alone and spray the clearcoat directly on the basecoat?

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Yes and NO: You typically put the clearcoat right over your basecoat with no sanding in between, unless you have some serious runs or other flaws that need to be fixed first.

In a normal scenario, you would do basecoat immediately followed by clear in the same painting session, allowing for proper flash time in between.

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
No need to sand the base coat unless you have any problem areas as stated previously. It's always fun to sand and polish your clear coat though.

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
Basecoat

There all right but the main reason not to, is any sand scratches you make with even the finest sand paper like 1000 or 1500 depending on the color your spraying it will show up like a house on fire :eek: when you spray the clear . If you do have to sand out either lots of dirt or a run you need to make sure and go back over it with a couple coats of base coat again and blend it in . Also make sure if you dont get it clear coated on the same day find out how long the window on the base coat is before you have to spray more base or the clear wont stick . O yea did I mention I have been a autobody painter for 22 years ;D . Let me know if you have any other questions . Robert

relm4x4

Loc.
Terrace, B.C, Canada
On one of the hot rod shows on tv ( can't remember which one) I thought I saw them wet sanding the primer coat, is this just to cut down on orange peel??

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
Primer coat

Yea thats part of the reason to sand the primer but the main reason is so the paint will stick and to fill any inperfections and block out any waves in the sheetmetal . Primer does not on as smooth as basecoat and you cant just spray paint over it without sanding it unless it is a primersealer that goes over your primersurfacer and before your basecoat .:cool:

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
relm4x4 said:
On one of the hot rod shows on tv ( can't remember which one) I thought I saw them wet sanding the primer coat, is this just to cut down on orange peel??

I wet sand my primer with 600 grit before applying the top coat.