• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For the efi guys

Jakedog

How much money did you spend to switch over to efi?
Or, how much did you spend to do the 5.0 explorer swap?

I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me. I have a gas tank that came with the bronco, so there's about $500 that I don't need to spend. There are plenty ford explorers in the $1000-$1500 range. My goal is to try to do it for about $2500.

ENDLIFE

I think the biggest cost for my swap was the E.F.I. harness. I think it cost me amount $350 form Ron Farris, I pulled my manifolds from the junk yard for about $50 (Including injectors and fuel rails), and all the odds and ends from eBay. I used a bunch of push fit AN fittings because I like to take things apart more than I should, and all the sensors I just had around my shop. All and all I think my swap minus the fuel tank cost me a little under $500.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
1998 Explorer 5.0 95,000 miles. $550.00
1996 Ford Explorer, minus motor and trans. Free
Flash 2 ECU's from EFI guy, $450
Redo Exhaust, Electrical and Misc, plumbing (fuel, PS, cooling) $1000
Total $2000.00

If you're doing all the work yourself, you could easily stay within your budget. I reworked the harness myself and did an in tank fuel pump with the Explorer donor. Lots of info already documented here. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Mark

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Idea 1$
Recovery from bright idea ~$i don't know :)

Hank

bteutsch

I did FITECH EFI, I know it's throttle body injection and not Ford injection, but It bolts on to a 4bbl intake and installs with minimal wiring. Cost is in the $900.00 range for the throttle body unit. Fuel pump sold separately in case want to you use your own. They also have a remote sump option for an extra $300.00.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mine are usually done for under $500
Harness & computer $250
Fuel Pumps $150
Gaskets $20
Misc stuff depending on what was bad on the use part
distributor add $75, alternators, water pumps ect

I rework my own Mustang EFI harness

matt w

Bronco Guru
1998 Explorer 5.0 95,000 miles. $550.00
1996 Ford Explorer, minus motor and trans. Free
Flash 2 ECU's from EFI guy, $450
Redo Exhaust, Electrical and Misc, plumbing (fuel, PS, cooling) $1000
Total $2000.00

If you're doing all the work yourself, you could easily stay within your budget. I reworked the harness myself and did an in tank fuel pump with the Explorer donor. Lots of info already documented here. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Mark

Shoot!....I HOPE!.... ;D

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

What did you guys use for a check engine light?
This might sound stupid, but I know it's got to have one!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I did one for under $350 including a motor swap - but I was doing it cheap on purpose. I built a 351w, put Typhoon intakes on it, gt 40 heads and mustang fuel injection for WELL UNDER 2k, probably closer to the $1500 mark. Be smart about it, do some leg work and enjoy the build.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Do most people hook up the CEL? I didn't bother! :cool:

I guess it's not necessary, but it would be nice to have a heads up when something's wrong with the engine.
Right now I'm just envious of anyone with efi!

Are the 99-01 5.0 explorers the same as far as the engine is concerned?
I've only been looking at 1999-2000 models. If '01 is the same, that will give me one more year as an option.

Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
.......Are the 99-01 5.0 explorers the same as far as the engine is concerned?
I've only been looking at 1999-2000 models. If '01 is the same, that will give me one more year as an option.

You can add the 01' in there with them. As long as it's a 5.0 obviously, the 4.6 appeared that year as well. Those 5.0's use a return less fuel system, higher pressure fuel delivery and smaller injectors (17lbs vs 19lbs).

Mark

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I guess it's not necessary, but it would be nice to have a heads up when something's wrong with the engine.
Right now I'm just envious of anyone with efi!

Are the 99-01 5.0 explorers the same as far as the engine is concerned?

Why not the '96, '97, '98 models?

They were available with the 5.0L V8 too.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Why not the '96, '97, '98 models?

They were available with the 5.0L V8 too.

From what I've read, the 99-01 5.0's were distributor less.
I have also read that 99-01 is an easier install(not sure why).
I'm really looking forward to the swap.
I'm considering having a shop do the R&R and ill do the hook up.

ren71

The 96-97 are arguably easier since you don't need to reflash the ecu to remove PATS and you can use regular headers or manifolds on the non P heads

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
From what I've read, the 99-01 5.0's were distributor less.
I have also read that 99-01 is an easier install(not sure why).
I'm really looking forward to the swap.
I'm considering having a shop do the R&R and ill do the hook up.

All years of the Explorer 5.0L V8 were distributorless.

Don't know why anyone would say the later ones are very much easier to swap in.
One of the differences is the earlier years did have a return line in the fuel system.
Just a little more plumbing.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

All years of the Explorer 5.0L V8 were distributorless.

Don't know why anyone would say the later ones are very much easier to swap in.
One of the differences is the earlier years did have a return line in the fuel system.
Just a little more plumbing.

I'm just going by what I've read, not by experience.

I've got a lot to learn about this swap. I've looked at pics and videos of some efi swaps, and some are so clean it almost looks factory!