• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Cracking Down on Mustang, Bronco, T-bird names

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
they did the same thing several years ago - thedieselstop.com used to be Forddiesel.com or something of the sort. They got a cease and desist order and had to change the name of the forum. If I remember correctly corral.net had to do something similar itself many years ago too.

Solar Aviator

feitctaj said:
this is all BS !
I guess North American can go after Ford for their use of the Name Mustang%)

Amen! I dream of flying a P51 Mustang or Spitfire. I think the T33 was called the Thunderbird. I think the OV-10 Bronco was probably built before the Ford Bronco ("Ford Bronco" is a trademark to the Ford Motor Company) :-* A$$

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
Ford Trademark

I guess Ford will have to fight it out with the States also as I incorporated "Southeast Early Broncos" in the state of FL and am legally allowed to use it for business purposes even though we are just a social club.We even have a federal tax id so it will have to be taken up with the IRS as they issued it to me under the same name.They will have a uphill battle once everyone decides to fight their geistapo scare tactics.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Solar Aviator said:
Amen! I dream of flying a P51 Mustang or Spitfire. I think the T33 was called the Thunderbird. I think the OV-10 Bronco was probably built before the Ford Bronco ("Ford Bronco" is a trademark to the Ford Motor Company) :-* A$$

if you feel this way, have you read "Wing Leader", By Johnny Johnson?
A must read;)

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Since it seems Ford's lawyers will not go after everyone at the same time so not to overload themselves..... what about every company/website/etc that uses these names(with a disclaimer not affliated with Ford) and has no intent on harming Ford or their image BAND TOGETHER and fight back. Strength in numbers, let's not let Ford pick everyone off one by one. Maybe we can hold raffles to raise funds for the defense, donations, etc so the brunt of this just isn't on the people we buy our parts for or host/create the website we love.

Any lawyers on the board?

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
With the high gas prices, sales droping and FORD deciding to close production plants in the US. The executives need the funds! :cry:
American made cars and truck sales are really being affected by the high price of gas, as many americans are trading in there vehicles for better mileage foreign brands. If the price of gas continues to rise you can say good bye to the top US automakers. Unless the goverment saves them like Reagan saved Harley-Davidson!

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
What is Ford thinking? Do they think that by making it difficult for Ford enthusiasts to restore their classic mustangs (by forcing out many of the vendors who sell reproduction parts and the like) that we will all just say "Shoot, I'll just go buy me a brand new Mustang." Yeah Right.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Just think about all the negative publicity that can be generated at every Ford National show or local car show if a booth is set up or the word spread via flyers on what Ford is up to. It just needs to be the truth, no slander...I bet they would think twice!

Hmm anyone want to write something up that has a bit more knowledge on the whole thing and e-mail it to me at FSRBIKER@Optonline.net , I'll hand it out to all attendees at Paragon tommorrow. ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FSRBIKER said:
Just think about all the negative publicity that can be generated at every Ford National show or local car show if a booth is set up or the word spread via flyers on what Ford is up to. It just needs to be the truth, no slander...I bet they would think twice!

Hmm anyone want to write something up that has a bit more knowledge on the whole thing and e-mail it to me at FSRBIKER@Optonline.net , I'll hand it out to all attendees at Paragon tommorrow. ;D
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm not sure why Ford would even do this. It is a lose/lose for them. Sure they may get a few dollars initially from some of the larger businesses but they are going to lose some name recognition. These places only serve to add to the number of loyal Ford owners and doing this will drive those owners elsewhere. Do they not realize the average classic car/truck enthusiast has at least 2 vehicles? And if they don't now they are going to later? Heck, I have 3 Fords in the driveway right now and only one is a classic. I also question the grounds Ford has on this but I'm not a trademark lawyer.

Here is a link that is worth looking at. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/metaschool/fisher/domain/tm.htm I think in some of these cases they may have a defense of "Nominative use" or fair use. I.E. The use of the trademark is necessary to properly describe the business, website function, etc. with no suggestion of endorsement by Ford. For instance how many people would be confused into thinking Ford endorses Tom's Bronco Parts or Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They don't. The use of the Trademark (If it can even be deemed a trademark) is necessary to describe the products being sold and should fall under fair use if I interpet this correctly.

Last edited:

BG's 68 Bronco

It's kind of funny when you think about it... I mean who's giving them a bad image, but themselves!

like said above most of us own more than one vehicle and they aren't all classics.

Where's Red Foreman when you need him: "Dumb-ass's"

77BroncoWag

Bronco Guru
Sbolt19 said:
The use of "Pony" will be interesting because doesn't Chevrolet, Chrystler & Dodge use those to refer to the Camaro, 'Cuda & Challenger of the late 60's? Don't they all (manufacturers) use the term "Pony Car" for those vintages?

I thought it was muscle car

77BroncoWag

Bronco Guru
What are they gonna do when one of the businesses is actually owned by someone named Ford?

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I know my decision to purchase a VW Golf recently was based on the huge amount of resources from all the tuners that like those little VW's... There is a huge aftermarket support that also can help with maintainance and common problems, without that I wouldn't have even looked at the VW. The same goes for folks looking at Ford products I am sure, I wouldn't look at a mustang, except for the fact that there is a ton of information and help out there... but that might be what they are trying to avoid at Ford, the reason I like the support of the VW is because I like to do it myself, instead of having to be at the mercy of a dealer... well that might just be Ford's goal... Who know, I think it will bite them in the rear though... Can't imagine the word Bronco being trademarked, think it would have to be used directly in relation to Ford, however, maybe they can prove that the basis of this website is for Ford Broncos, therefore the Bronco falls into their trademark realm?? Who knows... hope I am not eventually logging onto Classic4x4s.com ever! LOL

Dave

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Another thing to Jon, I personally would like to see a member vote or something to that effect if the issue is raised with this site, do the members want to try and fight Ford, or maybe not.... just a thought if it ever gets to this level...

DD

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
There was a case a while back with a company called vintage ford parts or obsolete ford parts, that got into trouble with ford and eventually ended up in court. Ill try and see waht I can dig up, as I dont remember the exact verdict. But I think that it was ruled that they had to change their name, as it could be perceived as being affiliated with FMC. As was mentioned earlier, Ford should not be able to interfere with the mustang name, bronco name, etc.... as they have been around alot longer than when ford finally decided to use em. Ive seen old ad's with the then new mustangs driving behind a some wild mustangs. It doesnt seem logical that they would be able to interfere with names that didnt use FORD in them.

bluebroncodrive

My friends company name was Toyota connection until Toyota closed him down, he had to rename it Toy connection. So they can do it:p

Wes harden

How can Ford own Mustang Bronco or Tbird they are all common english words in use long b4 Old Henry was even born. I'm sure if you look up Mustang in the dictionary it will say something about a wild horse not a car model.
Is GM going to sue the California Missions for there use of El Cameno Real (the Kings hiway) ?
Is Bs Big Busisness is destoring this country

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I have a friend that opened a coffee shop in town, He called it "Federal Espresso" .........well the boys at Fed X (delivery service/ Federal express) sued him. So he changed it to "Exfederal Espresso", not good enought......so he had to change it again to "Freedom of Espresso"

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
it sure seems strange that this would come up, as in the music industry useing the basic tune and making a parity of it has been in court over and over, with the Parity Artist winning EVERY time, Hail to the Little Guy.
Here is one Example of someone that has one repeatedly,
www.Bobrivers.com

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Jeepster said:
I have a friend that opened a coffee shop in town, He called it "Federal Espresso" .........well the boys at Fed X (delivery service/ Federal express) sued him. So he changed it to "Exfederal Espresso", not good enought......so he had to change it again to "Freedom of Espresso"
Now that's funny.