• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Fuel Injection wiring on 5.0

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I just got Ryan's harness all hooked up to my mustang 5.0 in my bronco. I did all of the connections to my Centech harness per Ryan's instructions. When I tried to do the pre-startup tests and fuel pump priming I got nothing. The instructions say to ground one of the plugs in the self test connector. Nothing happened. When I turn the key to acc. a relay clicks for a few seconds then shuts off. I double checked all of my connections and didn't find anything out of place. Any idea what's wrong? I have the pump wired through a inertia switch which I have check and it definately works and is definately reset correctly.

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
The relay you are hearing SHOULD be for your fuel pump priming. It is usually a 2-3 second event and it will "kick" off until you go into start or turn the key off and back to acc. Even after I bypassed the inertia switch, I had mine connected to an incorrect power source and it would pressure up and kick off, but would not come on in the start position. I changed to the proper circuit and life was great.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Fuel pump is grounded to frame. Is there any way to test a ground to determine if it is actually grounded?

Inertia switch is pushed in.

Not sure if I'm grounding the right pin. #28 of the manual says ground the terminal on the end of the large Self-Test connector. Not sure which end. #29 says to ground the terminal on the smaller self test connector. Should I ground both?

Battery is brand new and has 12 volts.

I'm not sure where NSS is supposed to hook in to Ryan's harness or my Centech harness. Maybe that's the problem. Anybody know which wires in these harnesses I can rearrange to eliminate the NSS?

jr

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
STI Self -Test Input. To control module for purposes of signalling the individual actuators, monitoring their responses, and looking for trouble codes in the memory. Ground this pin to run FP

STO Self -Test Output delivers vehicle information, operating conditions, and diagnostic information. STO trouble -code signals turn on the MIL light. So ground this pin for codes.

To read codes: http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Here is another good troubleshooting tech from Broncoholics' Scotty.

http://www.broncoholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1254

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
check the fuses. Move the relays around to make sure they are all good.
Not sure if I'm grounding the right pin. #28 of the manual says ground the terminal on the end of the large Self-Test connector. Not sure which end. #29 says to ground the terminal on the smaller self test connector. Should I ground both?
Step 28 is for the fuel pump test
Step 29 is to check for diagnostic codes from the computer
Follow the picture on page 8 and you won't have any problems.
I'm not sure where NSS is supposed to hook in to Ryan's harness or my Centech harness. Maybe that's the problem. Anybody know which wires in these harnesses I can rearrange to eliminate the NSS?
That will be a problem, but you have to focus on the Centech harness.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Ok, so I have a manual transmission so no NSS. Is there a wire in the system that needs to be tricked into thinking I'm always in neutral?

Of the 3 wires that need to be connected between my Centech harness and Ryan's harness only 1 (dark blue ignition) is actually necessary for start up right? So, other than that wire Ryan's harness stands alone from the body harness right?

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Of the 3 wires that need to be connected between my Centech harness and Ryan's harness only 1 (dark blue ignition) is actually necessary for start up right? So, other than that wire Ryan's harness stands alone from the body harness right?
correct
Ok, so I have a manual transmission so no NSS. Is there a wire in the system that needs to be tricked into thinking I'm always in neutral?
I'll have to get out my Centech manual

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Well, I think I found my problem. After rechecking all of my wiring I found that 1 wire off the inertia switch is not attached to anything. Ryan's instructions say to attach the inertia switch to connector # 2 in his harness under the dash. That connector only has 1 wire and the inertia switch has 2. So I hook 1 wire from the inertia switch up to that connector what does the other wire attach to? Does the 2nd wire get hooked up to a ground or a power source? Do both wires from the inertia switch get hooked up to the 1 wire from the #2 connector?

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Should have 2 wires in the connector, sounds like it got pulled apart?
inertia04.gif

mattt

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the hijack. Ryan, is the phone # in your signature no longer correct? I tried the # listed above, no work.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
That phone number works. But I'm not around to answer it all day.
When I'm laid up in bed or working on orders I'm not near the phone.
Sorry but that’s the life I lead with my disability (I still hate typing that word)

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Ryan is The Man!

I finally got my wiring problem figured out. There was one wire from the inertia switch connector in Ryan's harness that I missed when making my connections. I had cut the connector off and soldered the other wire directly to one of the inertia switch wires and had not noticed that there were 2 wires coming out of the harness. Now that I got the right wires hooked up the engine at least tries to start. The RJM fuel injection harness is the best! It's so simple to hook up that if I had just paid more attention to the details I would have had no problems. Thank you Ryan! Your harness, directions, and tech support are awesome!

Now on the next problem - when I try to start it, it shuts off after I let go of the key. As long as I am cranking it, it tries to run. Any ideas on why it won't stay running?

ak68

Centech and RJM

I'm also using the Centech and RJM combo. Both are great but I really like the clean uncluttered RJM. Besides the three wires to connect the two harnesses together what start wire from each harness are you using? I have connected the RJM red to bat and purple to ign, and the red centech to bat and purple to ign also. I'm thinking I don't need the RJM red and purple hookups on my solenoid.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
ak68 - I have it hooked up exactly like you described. I'm not sure if both sets of wires need to be hooked up to bat and ign.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Fuel injection wiring on 5.0 with Centech harness

Resurrecting an old thread. I am at the same place on my centech install and I am curious as to what are the proper wires to hook up from the Centech harness. I am not using the yellow wire but beyond that I need some help.

Thanks Ben