• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford racing crate engine 5.0 412hp mustang

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is thats a great motor that won't fit. It's modular, not a classic 5.0 windsor, it's really a souped up 4.6ltr.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Welcome and congrats on your transition decision!:cool:

There's been a couple guys who've managed to get a mod motor in a Bronco, but it is a huge amount of fab work, as the mod motors just don't fit between the inner fenders.

If you're looking for a fun daily driver, look into a 393 or 408 stroker. The 351W block fits with very few issues.

OP
OP
G

GenPuller

Thank you. Why would it cost $10K to make the 5.0 run in a EB? At that rate I'd consider a 4BT diesel conversion. My vision is to make an EB a daily driver, a vehicle I don't have to worry about driving to Mammoth for the weekend and can depend on Monday morning to get me to work. Gas milage is a concern. Any feedback you could give is greatly appreciated

OP
OP
G

GenPuller

I didn't realize there was a difference between the Windsor and Modular V8 engines. The way I understand it is that the Modular took the place of Windsor in 1991. Please excuse my ignorance, but the Windsor is longer but more narrow that the taller Modular, right?

JRED

I have a rebuilt 4.6 for sale with motor mounts and headers for an EB and an adapter for a c4 for sale.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While it could be done I would imagine its more suited to high RPM's. In all reaility not a good bronco engine unless your racing and even then your costs for swapping it in are just way to high. You 4BT would be a better swap. But your taliking about 2 totally differant engines there. one low end torque the other high rpm HP.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The engine by itself is $6999; add $1800 for the wiring harness and eec; add $250 for the alternator; Add about $1500 for fabrication for the engine adapter for your transmission, fuel system mods, engine mounts, fabbing power steering..... And your at a balmy $10,550

Or you can swap in a Winsdor 5.0 out of a Mustang or Explorer with everything needed for efi for around a grand...

slackccs

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have seen a 4BT (from an old Wonder Bread delivery truck) installed in an EB. Works great. Sounds like a tractor. You have to cut the hood for it to fit.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i think it would be a really cool swap. you'd have a lot of fabrication to do with motor mounts and you'd have to figure out what trans to put behind it and would probably have to fab a crossmember for that. your exhaust would most likely have to be custom and you might have to modify your fender wells.

i've put some serious thought into doing a mod motor swap but decided on a windsor so i could focus my attention on the suspension. someday i'd like to give the new 5.0 swap a try with a 6 speed behind it.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
If you are looking for better fuel mileage, the 4bt swap I have seen in person, gets around 30mpg. It has a very impressive 900lb/ft of torque and lots of HP too! It was done by a master deisel mechanic though and he built the heck out that motor. I don't know what the cost was, but the way he did it probably wasn't cheap.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
one simillar 4bt swap I know of putting out that much power cost about $25K and thats just the engine and it wasnt getting 30 mpg although it did get more than our V8's are getting.

barronj

Bronco Guru
If you want power & fuel economy, drop in an LS1.

Somebody had to say it ;D

Amac70

ME
lot of nay sayers still. drop that bad boy in there. look up modman on this site. he's got a 4.6 charged with a 5 or 6 speed auto behind it simply bad ass. 5.0 shouldn't be any bigger if its a mod motor.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
it isn't a mod motor persay, but it does say that it uses the same motor mount bosses and bellhousing as the modmotor.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
For those say that it won't fit. it will, IF you do alot of work to squeeze it in there. ask a guy on here SSLature. he put a 4.6L in his and that 5.0 is essentially the same thing. but if you have the coin go for it. some say fo rth eprice you will get a crazy nice souped up 302 or 351 that fits just right. but the upside to the 4.6 and 5.0 DOHC is that they get waay btter mpgs near 20 so there you go. i say it would be cool to do i would do it if i had the money.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
IF you have the budget, GO FOR IT! As mentioned above contact Modman, he can help supply you with motor mounts, headers, adaptors, etc. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167085&highlight=MOdman

My understanding is that he has done several 4.6 L conversions and even a 5.4. The 5.0 would be a sweet swap and while it is a HP motor, it does make good torque as well. The economy would be a huge plus.

I have an Explorer (Windsor) 5.0 in my Bronco with EFI, overdrive, proper gearing for tires....the best fuel economy I have achieved is one tank in CO last summer where we were on back highways (rarely in OD, mostly 4th gear 45-60) in the mountains (no, not all downhill). I have had a couple other tanks in the 15 mpg range (55-65 mpg, mix of 4th and 5th gear--flatlands near the Everglades and elsewhere in CO) and quite a few highway/interstate tanks in the 14 mpg range. Its not great, but I have 35" tires and 5.5" of suspension lift and 1.5" of body lift...so aerodynamics are killing me. Fuel economy is great until I get over 65, drops a mpg every 5 mph...give or take...at 80 I am back down to 11 mpg...depending on the terrain (grades dont help)....if I can keep it at 70, 13-14 is the norm...problem is--the Bronco WANTS to run 80+...whats a guy to do. Around town I range between 11 and 13 depending on my driving style/aggression level, etc...not awful...not great.

I think if you keep it around 3.5" of lift or less, you can get better economy. The diesel option would definitely be a great direction to go...although it may be difficult to tame the noise/engine-music. The 3V 4.6 above in the Modman thread sounds amazing and definitely appears to have good power/performance. While I am happy with my combo, if I were to have to redo the powerplant again, I would have a difficult time deciding between the 4bt and the 4.6/5.0/5.4L engines. As it is, I would like to get a bit more out of my 5.0 (ditch the GT40 heads for some AFRs and toss in a supercharger), but the latter would be no help in improving fuel economy...the heads probably wouldnt hurt though...hhhmmm.

Good luck with your decision. Alot of people will say not to do one thing or another, it is what they know. The 5.0 or 351W variants (331, 347, 393 or 408) will definitely fit, mate up nicely with existing drivetrain or easily accept many of the tranny upgrades available these days.

Having never tackled anything like my frame-up, I was too intimidated to try the 4bt when I was planning my build almost 6 yrs ago, there just wasnt much info on it and I had access to a 5.0 to stroke until I found my "crate" engine...so it made the 5.0 the obvious, easier and cheapest choice. Now, I feel comfortable enough with my skills to tackle such a swap AND with all the info, photos, build-threads and expertise, its very do-able. ...I dont think anyone back then (6 yrs ago) had done the 4.6--due all the electronics issues. Nowadays, there is alot of info; if you have the skills or the money, actually you need both or alot of the latter, then you can make anything happen. Again, good luck.

Have FUN!

John

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I would do it. It would be for a street cruiser. Something that looked stock but had all the upgrades.