• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford racing crate engine 5.0 412hp mustang

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Really only one person has said it wont fit but the whole point is that its still not a engine suited for a bronco. As for mileage well that 5.0 is only rated for about 26 on the hiway and thats in a mustang thats way more areodynamic and lighter than a bronco and with a .65 OD. Earlier mustangs with there 5.0 got around 22 mpg. With all the old 5.0 engine swaps people do then there lucky if they get above 15 mpg in a bronco. And as the new 5.0 dyno sheets look theres less power under 2500 rpm than the old 5.0 so cruising the hiway in a bronco with a new 5.0 will probably be worse on gas than you think.
Stock F150's with the 5.4L are lucky to see 20 mpg on the hiway. Mustangs with the 4.6 were only getting around 22 and with the 5.4 it was only 17 mpg. Not saying more mileage cant be pulled out of these engines as it can be done. Just as broncos were only rated at 12 mpg I get 16-17 out of mine. but its hardly stock.
Still if you have the money anything can be done. Is it worth it only you can say. I just dont see the new 5.0 as being a worthy swap canidate in a bronco that sees any real use.

OP
OP
G

GenPuller

The engine by itself is $6999; add $1800 for the wiring harness and eec; add $250 for the alternator; Add about $1500 for fabrication for the engine adapter for your transmission, fuel system mods, engine mounts, fabbing power steering..... And your at a balmy $10,550

Or you can swap in a Winsdor 5.0 out of a Mustang or Explorer with everything needed for efi for around a grand...

Yes, that makes sense and exposes my ignorance. Thank you.

Clearly there is a lot of research that needs to be done before I embark on my EB journey. Sincere thanks goes out to all of you.

OP
OP
G

GenPuller

What about the new Mustang's V6? 3.7-liter Duratec 24-valve engine boasting an impressive 305 hp and 280 ft.-lb. of torque. 31 MPG

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Gen, if you want to thread new ground, do it. as far as research goes this forum ROCKS, I started my frame off restoration and am being guided by this community of EB owners/builders. My Bro has the 351W c4, D20 on his, Mine had a 302 3speed manual and d20, I am remaking him with the 5.0L HO, AOD and NP205.

I had considered buying an AWD 1998 explorer V8, but thanks to this forum I choose otherwise, the motor would have been good but the rest bad. What I recommend is to go for it. me and at least 1 more guy here are restoring as I write this from ground zero. Just remember to enjoy the build, then we will get to enjoy the ride;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What about the new Mustang's V6? 3.7-liter Duratec 24-valve engine boasting an impressive 305 hp and 280 ft.-lb. of torque. 31 MPG

Again you looking only at advertised numbers. The smaller the engine and the higher the HP the less torque it will have torque is what moves vehicles especailly broncos the heavier you are the more torque you need. Small engines just dont have torque especailly on the low end where you need it in a bronco. A 302 with a RV type cam will put out more torque at idle than that 3.7 will put out at its peak of 4200 rpm. You want almost all your torque where you can use it and thats way below 4200 rpm. Look at it this way small lightweight cars can handle smaller peppy engines because the light weight and areodynamics of the car will allow the small engine to propell it. But a small peppy engine in a heavy brick like a bronco and that little engine wont move it very well at all. Much less be eficient at doing so.
Again not a good engine for a bronco.
We've had some discussions about the SOHC 4.0L as well again another engine that probably wouldnt make a good bronco engine. I have one in my 03 ranger 4x4 and while its not a bad engine it lacks lowend torque, Even in the ranger it has to run at 3000 rpm in OD at 75 mph because thats where the torque is up high. Even then on some hills the engine loses some speed.

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
Again you looking only at advertised numbers. The smaller the engine and the higher the HP the less torque it will have torque is what moves vehicles especailly broncos the heavier you are the more torque you need. Small engines just dont have torque especailly on the low end where you need it in a bronco. A 302 with a RV type cam will put out more torque at idle than that 3.7 will put out at its peak of 4200 rpm. You want almost all your torque where you can use it and thats way below 4200 rpm. Look at it this way small lightweight cars can handle smaller peppy engines because the light weight and areodynamics of the car will allow the small engine to propell it. But a small peppy engine in a heavy brick like a bronco and that little engine wont move it very well at all. Much less be eficient at doing so.
Again not a good engine for a bronco.
We've had some discussions about the SOHC 4.0L as well again another engine that probably wouldnt make a good bronco engine. I have one in my 03 ranger 4x4 and while its not a bad engine it lacks lowend torque, Even in the ranger it has to run at 3000 rpm in OD at 75 mph because thats where the torque is up high. Even then on some hills the engine loses some speed.

While you are correct on the "there is no replacement for displacement" I would hesitate to say the new engines coming out are the same breed, at all. the electronically controlled valves have pretty much taken the cam out of the equation, creating an engine that has the max torque output at all RPM ranges.

I have a 4L mustang, not a bad engine - it gets me around, with a little pep (your right bout the 3k) BUT that is the SOHC, which the new 6 and new 5.0 is NOT.

Engine tech has increased dramatically in the past 5-10 years, I wonder if the new powerplants coming out might re-define our perception of the smaller engines

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I havent seen dyno sheets for the 3.7L. Even with varible cam timing I dont think it will have the torque to keep a bronco happy. At least it wouldnt keep me happy. But they do have a detuned slightly 3.7L version that will be put in base model pickups so who knows. While technology has improved some things in the last few years some of that technology is due to emissions and the quest to advertise high HP numbers and the basics of engine power output hasnt changed.