• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FORD Take Notice (Bronco Related)

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If they put a V-8 option in the 2-dr explorer/mazda navaho platform, they might have sold a lot more.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Ford needs to out-Jeep the Jeep.

My idea of a new Bronco. Solid high pinion 8.8 axle up front, solid 8.8 in back, 4 link coil spring front and rear, wheelbase for 2 door around 95", 4 door version around 110"

Engine choices,
gas 2.5 L Naturally Aspirated 4 cylinder
High torque version of Mustang Ecoboost 4 cylinder
Diesel Duratorq 2.4 135hp 277 torque

Transmission six speed manual or automatic.

Fenders easily accept tires up to 35" without mods.

Styling should have a nod to the early Bronco but no limited to it. It has to look modern, functional but still recognizable as a Bronco.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yukon?
Hummers (even the big one) were built on the little S-10 Blazer.
How's that for poser style?

Not exactly. The H2's were based on the full size truck/SUV chassis with 6.0/4l65? or 4L80 trans...not sure which trans they had. The S-10/Blazer program was long over by the time the Hummers were cranking out of GM. The mid size truck platform was I think Colorado/Canyon/Trail Blazer by that point.

Exactly, they had to ADD the 4 door wranglers to appease families. Heep followers are a huge crowd whereas EB followers....not so many.
Even when Ford tried the 2 door exploders they didn't last all that long...and sucked.

That may have been the original intent....but the 4 door is a better wheeler than the 2 door,,, wheelbase.....hence why you see the serious JK builds are all 4 doors. Jeep should've done it years/decades ago. There was a prototype 4 door TJ, but it never went beyond first unit. Saw that one in person, and it was "winning".

If they put a V-8 option in the 2-dr explorer/mazda navaho platform, they might have sold a lot more.

I think the V8 wouldn't have made much of a difference in 2 door sales. Had Ford made the Exploder emulate the Jeep more, then it would've sold. Ford crimped it's own SUV line in my opinion. The one SUV everyone wanted to continue, the Excursion, Ford killed it off mistakenly....bad, bad call! I think they caved to the enviro-whack-jobs in that decision. They had a real winner with the Ex because GM never offered the Suburban with modern diesel powerplant.

Had Ford made the transition from Bronco II to Explorer more Jeep like, it would've done better if you ask me. Had they made the transition from Bronco to Expedition, more Bronco like(removable top, more rugged(in buyers eyes) & less grocery getter) I think it could've done better. Fact of the matter is Chrysler has an uncontested home run with the Wrangler. Could it be better from the factory, yes. I know...I had one in the past. Is it a unique vehicle that holds resale, and has ZERO competition from GM & Ford...yep. Ford is missing that boat....but perhaps that is on purpose???

Ford needs to out-Jeep the Jeep.
My idea of a new Bronco. Solid high pinion 8.8 axle up front, solid 8.8 in back, 4 link coil spring front and rear, wheelbase for 2 door around 95", 4 door version around 110"
Engine choices,
gas 2.5 L Naturally Aspirated 4 cylinder
High torque version of Mustang Ecoboost 4 cylinder
Diesel Duratorq 2.4 135hp 277 torque
Transmission six speed manual or automatic.
Fenders easily accept tires up to 35" without mods.
Styling should have a nod to the early Bronco but no limited to it. It has to look modern, functional but still recognizable as a Bronco.

If you ask me, Ford's best bet to steal away some of the HUGE Jeep market is to Bronc-ify/Jeep-ify the F150 Raptor platform. Raptors have a big following and earned their spot as an off road capable vehicle. If you kept everything from the frame down the same and just planted a new/different body shell on top, I think it would be a winner. Look at all the buzz the April Fools joke Raptor Bronco created last April. I'm kind of mixed on this idea...a lot of people do not want to drive a full size truck/SUV type vehicle, but the Raptor has off road credibility. A smaller Jeep like "something" would better match the competition, but does Ford have some other chassis/drivetrain package already that a smaller "rugged" "trail rated" type vehicle could spring from? I do not know. That is why I think the Raptor program is the easiest go for Ford. Whatever it is....it has to be top optional, top convertible....that is what makes a Bronco a Bronco and part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep. Just one dude's opinion.....FWIW....

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
dont get me wrong I am a Ford fan, but if fords current design team got involved it would be as hideous as this chevy attempt.

look at fords current 4x4 lineup (raptor and F-seris trucks/expedition excluded)

the Escape was once a nice little SUV now ruined its more like a AWD focus...
Explorer is it really still a 4x4 SUV? really? its an AWD mini van crossover something?

I dont have the confidence if they tried they wouldnt screw it up.

My opinion is they need to take a page from dodges playbook with the Challenger. its cool to look at the new one and the classic one side by side...

Just imagine if they did that with a EB....get some raptor inspired suspension and drivetrain options oh yeah and a diesel option

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Everest

Not exactly. The H2's were based on the full size truck/SUV chassis with 6.0/4l65? or 4L80 trans...not sure which trans they had. The S-10/Blazer program was long over by the time the Hummers were cranking out of GM. The mid size truck platform was I think Colorado/Canyon/Trail Blazer by that point.

That may have been the original intent....but the 4 door is a better wheeler than the 2 door,,, wheelbase.....hence why you see the serious JK builds are all 4 doors. Jeep should've done it years/decades ago. There was a prototype 4 door TJ, but it never went beyond first unit. Saw that one in person, and it was "winning".

I think the V8 wouldn't have made much of a difference in 2 door sales. Had Ford made the Exploder emulate the Jeep more, then it would've sold. Ford crimped it's own SUV line in my opinion. The one SUV everyone wanted to continue, the Excursion, Ford killed it off mistakenly....bad, bad call! I think they caved to the enviro-whack-jobs in that decision. They had a real winner with the Ex because GM never offered the Suburban with modern diesel powerplant.

Had Ford made the transition from Bronco II to Explorer more Jeep like, it would've done better if you ask me. Had they made the transition from Bronco to Expedition, more Bronco like(removable top, more rugged(in buyers eyes) & less grocery getter) I think it could've done better. Fact of the matter is Chrysler has an uncontested home run with the Wrangler. Could it be better from the factory, yes. I know...I had one in the past. Is it a unique vehicle that holds resale, and has ZERO competition from GM & Ford...yep. Ford is missing that boat....but perhaps that is on purpose???

If you ask me, Ford's best bet to steal away some of the HUGE Jeep market is to Bronc-ify/Jeep-ify the F150 Raptor platform. Raptors have a big following and earned their spot as an off road capable vehicle. If you kept everything from the frame down the same and just planted a new/different body shell on top, I think it would be a winner. Look at all the buzz the April Fools joke Raptor Bronco created last April. I'm kind of mixed on this idea...a lot of people do not want to drive a full size truck/SUV type vehicle, but the Raptor has off road credibility. A smaller Jeep like "something" would better match the competition, but does Ford have some other chassis/drivetrain package already that a smaller "rugged" "trail rated" type vehicle could spring from? I do not know. That is why I think the Raptor program is the easiest go for Ford. Whatever it is....it has to be top optional, top convertible....that is what makes a Bronco a Bronco and part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep. Just one dude's opinion.....FWIW....

I agree, the Raptor has a huge following. We need a Raptor version of the new Ford Everest built on the not available in the US global Ranger platform. Companies hate the tops coming off because of the safety laws so that's the hardest thing. Everest has the 3.2 I5 Duratorq diesel available. And 6 speed manual or auto. http://blog.caranddriver.com/fords-...-seven-seat-off-roader-we-want-but-cant-have/

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Never gonna happen
Which is a good thing
They'd manage to screw it up

Look at the micro van thing the connect is it ?
Avail everywhere else with a turbo diesel 5 speed
But here we get the gasser automatic
And they charge extra for NOT ripping out all he interior that they install in the factory in Pakistan or wherever it's built in order to dodge some import tax

Same with the Ranger
It's sold everywhere else except here with a crew cab solid axle turbo diesel 5 speed

Apparently It was cutting into the F-150 sales a little too much
And as wih all the big 3. The larger the vehicle the larger the profit
None of the big 3 have ever been able to make a high quality small vehicle and sell it for a profit

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I've given strong thought as to why the 2 door ute has died, and my opinion, this has happened because of the required use of monster sized car seats for an extended period of time; 200lbs or 16 years of age (irony).

Because you work at Ford, perhaps an engineer or two could answer this, but with all of the required safety stuff on a new vehicle, would it even be possible to maintain the original Bronco's size and still fit a 5L under the hood? Thinking out loud here, I suppose with unitized construction it may be possible, but would that compete with the body-on-frame Wrangler? Of course, I've read rumors that Wrangler may finally go unitized as well.

A lot of guys put the new JK down on here, but no other vehicle offered today, in the USA offers a full removable top, up to four removable doors and solid axles.

I've got a 32V Cobra motor under the hood of my 74 so I don't see why not.

Hummer died because those vehicles were no longer being sold in numbers that made them profitable. If GM made money on them, they would still be making them (like any good business.)

The safety stuff doesn't really add size to a vehicle (see Fiesta, etc. which meet the same standards as full-sized cars), but the killer is getting good enough mileage out of it to convince people it would make an affordable daily driver. If you don't do that, then you limit yourself to JUST the "extra" car people who want something fun (a much smaller market)

Vehicle segments don't typically grow as a result of a new vehicle on the market within that segment. What usually happens is a SLIGHT increase in the overall market, but then it goes back to the average, then that market is now divided between more players (same pie, just more slices) so then NO ONE is making enough vehicles to make the market profitable to compete in (see the demise of the minivan market for an example)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Explorer never was an off-roader it was always meant to be a soccer-mom grocery-getter/"troop carrier", soccer-moms are a much bigger market segment.

Ford plays with off road as concept vehicles, but when it comes to production very seldom do those make the cut.
Look up the EX buggy concept vehicle they made about 2001.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Yukon?
Hummers (even the big one) were built on the little S-10 Blazer.
How's that for poser style?

Are you joking? I don't think that'd even be remotely possible.

My wife just traded our 04 H2 in for an Infiniti QX80 so I have a little seat time w/ an H2. Don't know how they would've fit those axles and a 6.0 in an S10 Blazer LOL %)

Now a beefed up Yukon/Tahoe??? Agreed ;)

I'm hoping (and believe me I'm not holding my breath) that a 2016 Wrangler redesign, grumblings from GM re: a Heep fighter and 50th anniversary of the Bronco all taking place next year . . . well you know. I think if we ever had a shot, next year would be it.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Had Ford made the Exploder emulate the Jeep more, then it would've sold.

You do realize that the Explorer has VASTLY outsold the Wrangler....right?

What killed Explorer was poor mileage and higher gas prices for something that most people use as a daily driver.

Here are the US sales figures for Explorer:
1990 - 140,509
1991 - 282,837
1992 - 292,069
1993 - 301,668
1994 - 278,065
1995 - 395,227
1996 - 402,663
1997 - 383,852
1998 - 431,488
1999 - 428,772
2000 - 445,157
2001 - 415,921
2002 - 433,847
2003 - 373,118
2004 - 339,333
2005 - 239,788
2006 - 179,229
2007 - 137,817
2008 - 78,439
2009 - 52,190
2010 - 60,687
2011 - 135,179
2012 - 158,344 + 5,863 LEO units
2013 - 178,311 + 14,086 LEO units
2014 - 189,339 + 20,655 LEO units

Let's compare that to US Jeep Wrangler sales

1999 - 89,174
2000 - 82,254
2001 - 68,830
2002 - 64,351
2003 - 70,093
2004 - 77,550
2005 - 79,017
2006 - 80,271
2007 - 119,243
2008 - 84,615
2009 - 82,044
2010 - 94,310
2011 - 122,460
2012 - 141,669
2013 - 155,502

To say that "if Ford were to have made the Explorer more Jeep-like, they would have had MORE sales" clearly ignores the fact that Explorer has crushed Wrangler in sales with the exception of 2008-2010.

From 1999-2013 Explorer sold 3,676,081 in the US
From 1999-2013 Jeep sold 1,331,383 Wranglers (all variants)

So for the same 14 year period Explorer outsold Wrangler by 276%

Just sayin......

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
it's all about numbers to the manufacturers. they are in business to make money on a very large scale.

look at how fast Toyota ditched the land cruiser project. sales where not there and they lost their hinnies.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Explorer never was an off-roader it was always meant to be a soccer-mom grocery-getter/"troop carrier", soccer-moms are a much bigger market segment.

Ford plays with off road as concept vehicles, but when it comes to production very seldom do those make the cut.
Look up the EX buggy concept vehicle they made about 2001.

91's -94's with the TTB front ends are very capable off roaders my four door on 31" tires 4.10 gears with limited slip front and rear ends has been on trails all over the south west including trails like Poison Spider mesa and Hells Revenge in Moab, always got strange from the Jeep folks :eek: and it was running those trails with over 200K on the ODO and the original untouched engine.

mattt

Bronco Guru
You do realize that the Explorer has VASTLY outsold the Wrangler....right?

What killed Explorer was poor mileage and higher gas prices for something that most people use as a daily driver.

Here are the US sales figures for Explorer:
1990 - 140,509
1991 - 282,837
1992 - 292,069
1993 - 301,668
1994 - 278,065
1995 - 395,227
1996 - 402,663
1997 - 383,852
1998 - 431,488
1999 - 428,772
2000 - 445,157
2001 - 415,921
2002 - 433,847
2003 - 373,118
2004 - 339,333
2005 - 239,788
2006 - 179,229
2007 - 137,817
2008 - 78,439
2009 - 52,190
2010 - 60,687
2011 - 135,179
2012 - 158,344 + 5,863 LEO units
2013 - 178,311 + 14,086 LEO units
2014 - 189,339 + 20,655 LEO units

Let's compare that to US Jeep Wrangler sales

1999 - 89,174
2000 - 82,254
2001 - 68,830
2002 - 64,351
2003 - 70,093
2004 - 77,550
2005 - 79,017
2006 - 80,271
2007 - 119,243
2008 - 84,615
2009 - 82,044
2010 - 94,310
2011 - 122,460
2012 - 141,669
2013 - 155,502

To say that "if Ford were to have made the Explorer more Jeep-like, they would have had MORE sales" clearly ignores the fact that Explorer has crushed Wrangler in sales with the exception of 2008-2010.

From 1999-2013 Explorer sold 3,676,081 in the US
From 1999-2013 Jeep sold 1,331,383 Wranglers (all variants)

So for the same 14 year period Explorer outsold Wrangler by 276%

Just sayin......

In my best Johnny Carson impression voice....."Uh, I did not know that."

I kind of got on a tear with that reply, and injected some of my own personal bias into that statement you called me out on ;) A more accurate statement would've been "Had Ford made the Exploder emulate the Jeep more, then it would've sold"......"more to a buyer such as myself who has a soft spot for Classic Broncos and trail capable 4x4's" More-so I was putting forth the idea that the 2 door not having vs. having a V8 option would've not made a difference in sales.

Of course, it's all about sales #'s for Ford, and that is good. The more they sell, the better chance they are staying in business, again a good thing. Obviously from my own biased point of view, I would've liked Ford to go after and chip away at the Wrangler market, but justified reasons of their own, they do not.....I guess it's just nostalgia for when Ford DID offer something in that same market segment.

It sounds like the early 90's vintage Explorer's are capable off road, given the reply above and who made it, it was just never a vehicle that interested me as a buyer much....but again that doesn't say much. There are a lot of Explorers on the road and everywhere I travel, I see them. The same can be said about Wranglers, at least out west, but, sales #'s don't lie. Thanks for the education.

P.S. I still stand by my assertion that the best option that I would like to see is a Raptor Bronco-ized ;D Although those non domestic market Rangers and Everest look like an interesting platform to start from too. :cool:

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
In my best Johnny Carson impression voice....."Uh, I did not know that."

I kind of got on a tear with that reply, and injected some of my own personal bias into that statement you called me out on ;) A more accurate statement would've been "Had Ford made the Exploder emulate the Jeep more, then it would've sold"......"more to a buyer such as myself who has a soft spot for Classic Broncos and trail capable 4x4's" More-so I was putting forth the idea that the 2 door not having vs. having a V8 option would've not made a difference in sales.

Of course, it's all about sales #'s for Ford, and that is good. The more they sell, the better chance they are staying in business, again a good thing. Obviously from my own biased point of view, I would've liked Ford to go after and chip away at the Wrangler market, but justified reasons of their own, they do not.....I guess it's just nostalgia for when Ford DID offer something in that same market segment.

It sounds like the early 90's vintage Explorer's are capable off road, given the reply above and who made it, it was just never a vehicle that interested me as a buyer much....but again that doesn't say much. There are a lot of Explorers on the road and everywhere I travel, I see them. The same can be said about Wranglers, at least out west, but, sales #'s don't lie. Thanks for the education.

P.S. I still stand by my assertion that the best option that I would like to see is a Raptor Bronco-ized ;D Although those non domestic market Rangers and Everest look like an interesting platform to start from too. :cool:

No problem Matt....;D

Being in the industry, I've got access to a bunch of industry rags that I can get that kind of info.

I got to hear ALL the chirps about how great the Toyota FJ Cruiser is and how Ford was missing the boat on that one. Toyota has now killed that vehicle because it just didn't have the sales numbers behind it and ended up not being profitable despite being pretty decent. (If they were making money on it - it would STILL be around, guaranteed)

I too would LOVE to see a REAL Bronco, but the market today really isn't conducive to it's development....at least not at an affordable price if it's done right.

FYI....As popular as the Raptor is - Ford only sells about 12K annually, but of course the development costs on that are significantly less that what it would take to develop a unique platform (which is what would be required for solid front axle)

I think the price-point of a Bronco-Raptor would be similar (if not a little more) and as such sales would also be similar in number. Again - just my slightly educated opinion.;)

Here's another interesting tidbit for those that don't like the current Explorer - it took over 55% of the law enforcement market last year and was the BEST selling LEO vehicle in 2014. (Front end changes coming in 2016 - looks a bit nicer in my opinion)

mattt

Bronco Guru
No problem Matt....;D

Being in the industry, I've got access to a bunch of industry rags that I can get that kind of info.

I got to hear ALL the chirps about how great the Toyota FJ Cruiser is and how Ford was missing the boat on that one. Toyota has now killed that vehicle because it just didn't have the sales numbers behind it and ended up not being profitable despite being pretty decent. (If they were making money on it - it would STILL be around, guaranteed)

I too would LOVE to see a REAL Bronco, but the market today really isn't conducive to it's development....at least not at an affordable price if it's done right.

FYI....As popular as the Raptor is - Ford only sells about 12K annually, but of course the development costs on that are significantly less that what it would take to develop a unique platform (which is what would be required for solid front axle)

I think the price-point of a Bronco-Raptor would be similar (if not a little more) and as such sales would also be similar in number. Again - just my slightly educated opinion.;)

Here's another interesting tidbit for those that don't like the current Explorer - it took over 55% of the law enforcement market last year and was the BEST selling LEO vehicle in 2014. (Front end changes coming in 2016 - looks a bit nicer in my opinion)

Thanks for the education. Regarding the Raptor Bronco, I'd have to re-read my first and second post above, but I think I said to base the SVT Bronco on the Raptor platform. I articulated the point to use an existing platform to avoid the development cost. I knew that would be an insurmountable issue otherwise. With that being said, it obviously would not be solid front axle. That is also why I added in about using the Everest or Ranger platforms as a starting point for a direct competitor to the Wrangler, which is a real winner since '07.

As I think about this more & more....I think what killed the 2 door 'ute market was just that....2 doors! Access and capability. Look at the evolution of pick up trucks in the late 90's. I remember when Ford & GM finally got with the game and offered Crew Cab trucks in platforms other than 1 ton long beds. It, to this day, is what people wanted in a pick up....more(comfortable) room for passengers with the utility of a pick up. The first step in that evolution was the 3rd(& or 4th)door extra cabs. I couldn't buy one quick enough once it came out and I dumped my no access extra cab like a hot potato. The same can be said for the 2 door 'ute. Not comfortable for more than driver and passenger which limits it's "utility." It has the "sport" part still handled, but it has to be all everything, Sport Utility Vehicle. Sure, it has room for more than 2(driver & passenger), but no one wants to crawl in and out of a cramped back area. I also think that is a lot of the success of the JK-U.

Since I'm on a tear again....I'll go back to the early 00's and late 90's time period and a full sized loaded pick up truck maxed out around $30k. The same truck today is pretty much double that, nearing $60k. As nice as new trucks are, they are not twice as nice as a truck from 15 years ago....hence why I continue to drive a loaded 04 Tahoe. Again to re-iterate, new ones are nice, but they're not THAT much nicer than my 04. What has driven the almost doubling of price points in the last 15-20 years on full size trucks and SUV's?

I would love to drive a Raptor, but Ford is crazy thinking I'd spend $60k for a pick-em-up truck. It almost has me seeing what happened with the custom boat business out here in Socal over the last 10 years.....the prices kept going up, up, up for the same nice boat they were selling the year before. Well, guess how many of those custom boat builders are now gone and out of business? Without numbers handy......MOST.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Thanks for the education. Regarding the Raptor Bronco, I'd have to re-read my first and second post above, but I think I said to base the SVT Bronco on the Raptor platform. I articulated the point to use an existing platform to avoid the development cost. I knew that would be an insurmountable issue otherwise. With that being said, it obviously would not be solid front axle. That is also why I added in about using the Everest or Ranger platforms as a starting point for a direct competitor to the Wrangler, which is a real winner since '07.

As I think about this more & more....I think what killed the 2 door 'ute market was just that....2 doors! Access and capability. Look at the evolution of pick up trucks in the late 90's. I remember when Ford & GM finally got with the game and offered Crew Cab trucks in platforms other than 1 ton long beds. It, to this day, is what people wanted in a pick up....more(comfortable) room for passengers with the utility of a pick up. The first step in that evolution was the 3rd(& or 4th)door extra cabs. I couldn't buy one quick enough once it came out and I dumped my no access extra cab like a hot potato. The same can be said for the 2 door 'ute. Not comfortable for more than driver and passenger which limits it's "utility." It has the "sport" part still handled, but it has to be all everything, Sport Utility Vehicle. Sure, it has room for more than 2(driver & passenger), but no one wants to crawl in and out of a cramped back area. I also think that is a lot of the success of the JK-U.

Since I'm on a tear again....I'll go back to the early 00's and late 90's time period and a full sized loaded pick up truck maxed out around $30k. The same truck today is pretty much double that, nearing $60k. As nice as new trucks are, they are not twice as nice as a truck from 15 years ago....hence why I continue to drive a loaded 04 Tahoe. Again to re-iterate, new ones are nice, but they're not THAT much nicer than my 04. What has driven the almost doubling of price points in the last 15-20 years on full size trucks and SUV's?

I would love to drive a Raptor, but Ford is crazy thinking I'd spend $60k for a pick-em-up truck. It almost has me seeing what happened with the custom boat business out here in Socal over the last 10 years.....the prices kept going up, up, up for the same nice boat they were selling the year before. Well, guess how many of those custom boat builders are now gone and out of business? Without numbers handy......MOST.

IT's really about giving the customers choices Matt. You can go out and buy a $60K luxury truck with all the bells/whistles, or you can get a basic truck down into the $20-30K range. All depends on what you need.

You're absolutely correct about the demise of 2-door utes....if a person was going to have a truck-car thing....then they wanted to have the most useful vehicle they could purchase, and the cost wasn't that much more than the 2-door for a much more flexible/useful vehicle on a daily basis. Same thing for pick-ups, they used to be work vehicles, but more and more people use them as their family vehicle - thus requiring more space/people carrying capability.

No one likes trying to load kids into child seats through a 2-door, it's easier to load stuff from Home Depot into the back of a larger UTE with the seats folded down, etc. For 99% of the people, 99% of the time, the larger vehicle just makes more sense.

The Ute market exploded after the station wagon/mini-van markets collapsed because people didn't want a mom-mobile. So you ended up with hundreds of thousands of soccer moms in SUV's. Now that gas prices have gone up significantly in the last 10 years, the popularity of smaller SUV's and Crossover vehicles (car bases SUVs basically) has risen substantially. (of course gas prices ARE down right now, temporarily, and we've seen an increase in full-size vehicle sales as a result, but I believe this is only a temporary condition which will revert in the next year or so.) And because a VAST majority of customers NEVER take their vehicles off-road - they've become more street focused than off-road capable.

Large UTE's and Full-size trucks are a uniquely American phenomena. Gas prices in other markets simply do NOT allow these vehicles to be popular in any kind of numbers outside the US. ($8/gal gas is pretty typical in Euro countries, etc.)

How many jeers do you think would be expressed on here if a new Bronco came out with IFS? Or without a V8? You simply can't please everyone, but the decisions made are purely market driven.

(Don't forget that Chrysler had to be bailed out whereas Ford did not.....we must be doing SOMETHING right, yes?)

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I read something the other day re: SVT Raptors, it said Ford sold more RAPTORs then Nissan sold Titans!!! How's that for market share? Lol

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Some body post up the pics of the 93 bronco that's on the Raptor frame with the raptor interior

Tapatalk.no longer allows me to post pics