• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford thunderbird console swap/build

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

sorry, just noticed the profiles are different n each side..
its ok... thats how I found out too! The long side pieces were mounted on the console, and I used that U piece to model the passenger side. I knew that the driver and passenger were different, but the profile actually changes from front to back on the passenger side. Good news is I am better at modeling that stuff than I was when I woke up, and now we know.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I think this is gonna be my move for the trim pieces. Its only the last two inches and its mostly in the shadow of the dash...

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_084350.jpg
    IMG_20220126_084350.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Been doing some little detail stuff and wiring the goodies today, getting close to the finish.
IMG_20220127_184613.jpg

omureebe

That's the best looking/fitting center console I've seen in an EB... I run a 5-channel amp, pinched between the glove box and dash lip. But seeing this (and thinking heat issues with electronics), that's a slick setup. Can't wait to see it installed with seats etc.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

That's the best looking/fitting center console I've seen in an EB...
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it

I run a 5-channel amp, pinched between the glove box and dash lip. But seeing this (and thinking heat issues with electronics)
I ran a 5 channel amp in my first Bronco under the passenger seat and it overheated all the time. I'm a bit of a sound nerd (which means I know its a fool's errand in an EB) so my impulse is to run a bigger more full featured amp, but this little guy does GREAT. I actually stuffed the small Kenwood amp AND a Pioneer head unit in the stereo slot in my previous tuffy console with no overheating. My full sound setup right now is a powered 8" sub under the passenger seat and (2) 6.5" infinity speakers mounted in enclosures inside the roadster inserts, powered by the Kenwood amp. I am wired all the way for fronts, but am on the fence about giving up space in the footwell. I have actually found that the two alone dont bother me, since they are beside me, not behind me. If they were rear biased, I would have to balance with fronts. That being said, I can definitely see a future where they get replaced with 6x9s...
Can't wait to see it installed with seats etc.
Should be soon..... :)

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Well, it is almost ready for install. Need to type up some updates for this thread, and I am still waiting on one part before it is "done for now" but it is ready to be dropped in.

273110702_6940033682705462_6347479668208305157_n.jpeg

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
man this came out beautiful! can't wait to get started on mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Ok! It looks like install will be tomorrow. Before I do that I wanted to tie up some loose ends on this thread, namely the new trim pieces I made, the console wiring, the paint/vinyl, the shifter bezel, and install of the top deck.
So for the trim.... The original Tbird stuff quits about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the dash. There ARE top pieces from the thunderbird but they go off in weird directions. I considered buying duplicates of the parts I have and cutting them into small lengths, but it seemed like a waste. For the heck of it, I decided to try the 3d printer. I haven't modeled shapes like these before, but figured no harm in trying. To model them I traced the profile onto paper, took a photo, imported the photo into sketchup, matched one straight dimension in the photo to a dimension in the program, and then basically trace the rest, extrude and print. This part of the process is usually pretty tedious, but everything worked out quickly, and I was satisfied with the part. I did the same process for the profile on the other side. These parts are now covered in vinyl.
IMG_20220129_125708.jpg
The wiring involved was basically the same as my old console, so I put the holes in basically the same location. There is a 6 circuit Blue sea systems fuse block that powers the amp, EQ, Bluetooth module, and usb port. I used a lot of the available space to make the wiring clean. Everything is fixed with velcro, its plenty strong for what it needs to do and makes it easy to adjust and whatnot.
I originally thought I was going to bring the dash color down to my top plate. I did my best to get a good color match, and I was pretty happy with that part, but overall didnt love that color there, so it was a pretty easy decision to cover it in vinyl.
I made a small bezel for the t case lever opening. Its a snap fit part and works fine. I am planning on a shifter boot from RedlineGoods.com so it may change.
Installing the top deck was a back and forth thing, I made new holes between the metal piece and the trim and the frame. I started at the back and moved forward. I had to do this a few times over the course of the build and it was a little different each time. I used clamps and went slowly, thats the most important part.
Hoping for a smooth install tomorrow!

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't everybody hate me but I have followed this thread and think the work is amazing. It just doesn't say Bronco to me. It says Thunderbird.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
No hate at all here.......from me anyway.
Beauty of these trucks (and all classics really), to me, is everyone does what they like and with that, we get to see a lot of different mods & fab work.