• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Toploader 4-speed

terry oakleaf

Am wanting to give up my 3-in the tree transmission and go for the 4-speed toploader. How do you identify (code or serial Number) what transmission will fit? They say that the wide ratio is the best route to go? What would it cost to have one installed (ballpark)? Appreciate any help!
Terry

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to David Kee Transmissions for all ID numbers and info.

Wide ratio is best with the taller 1st gear.

Uses same intermediate shaft as 3-speed but will have to be machined for larger bearing for 4-speed. Will also need New main shaft from Advance Adaptors. AA also have the shifter kit with rails as well. Toms has the conversion parts as well.

Expect a good transmission to be $500-700. Conversion parts are about $600. NO driveline modifications needed. Exhaust would be the same clearance as 3-speed. Floor shifter only.

For a street driven Bronco this is the ideal transmission if you do not need overdrive. Fully synchronized and easy shifting. VERY, VERY strong transmission!

This conversion is currently in the works for my 69 Bronco.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wide ratio ones are much easier to find. They go for $400-$500 around here. Sometimes more but the close ratio ones are the ones that usually go for more $. I spent the extra $ and went with the NV3550. It's going to be nice to have that 5th gear when you need it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You dont really gain anything with a toploader 4 speed. 1st gear is higher than the 3sp and you only gain a slightly better gear spacing between the 2-3 shifts. If you do any offroading at all it will be worse than the current 3sp and you will need lowrange more.
Pretty much as others have said the cost is just not worth the effort for what your getting unless you already have the trans. If your in AZ I might be willing to sell my toploader setup for a bronco. But I'm leaning more towards converting it back to a car setup as its worth more that way.

OP
OP
T

terry oakleaf

toploader 4-speed

Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like I might be making a bad choice and the NV3550 would be better. I mostly drive my bronco on verses off road and that why I was thinking of the toploader.