• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a 351W - Good Deal?

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Found it at a wrecking parts shop. '96 roller block (how can I tell the year to be sure?). Unknown miles with 175 compression in all holes. has all intake/injection parts and just missing AC/PS/ALT but has all the brackets etc. Think this is a good deal as a temporary motor?

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Sorry forgot $650. Let me know what u guys think. May pick it up tomorrow.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Look by the starter for a casting number starting with F4 for a roller block.

Depending on local markets, $650 could be a fair price.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Anyone else have an opinion? Wonder if they will let me pull the pan or heads.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
probably wont let you pull anything but they may give some type of warranty (30 days or less)

mattt

Bronco Guru
Are you looking for a core that will be rebuilt, or are you looking for something that will be ready to run? Reason I ask is I've seen a number of 351's in local junkyards recently, and if wait for a 1/2 off weekend(usually any holiday), you can pick up a complete engine for ~$175

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
HHMM following this one with interest. As I work at a army base and when people get posted, some abandon older vehicles in place. I get to strip these vehicles for what I want. My 351 came out of a 87 Crown Victoria close to this route. (I actually had to pay 100 for the whole car but I wanted as the motor was recently rebuilt) The last two I could have for nothing and gave one to another bronco nut. If I was looking for a 351 I would go the "alley way cruise" route. Sometimes you get them for nothing.
TOFIC

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Good call Matt. I am going to wait for a sale at a yard and pick one up then. I am going to use it for a temporary motor until my fincial situation improves. Was thinking about throwing some new bearings and rings in it but I have never done this before. Anyone make any suggestions as to freshin up a 351w on the cheep? I need to get this project on the road this summer!

It would be $325 on sale. As good of a deal that I have been able to find.

Kirk

67u13

Loc.
austin texas
i WOULD GO NO HIGHER THAN 350.00 IF IT HAS THAT GOOD OF COMPRESSION. IF HE SAYS NO, LEAVE YOUR NUMBER AND SIT ON IT FOR A WEEK OR TWO, CASH NOW ALWAYS WINS OUT OVER POTENTIAL PROFIT LATER.

67u13

Loc.
austin texas
You Can Also Look At Insurance Auctions And Find A Wrecked Car With What You Want, I Got A 96 Bronco With Mass Air And A 351 For 550.00 And Limped It Home With A Bent Axle.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I have nowhere to put a wrecked truck and what do you do with it when your done stripping it?

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
love the options

I went for a 351 conversion by mistake. I found a co-worker looking to empty his yard, and had one sitting in an 83 pickup. He guaranteed a recent rebuild, so I bought it for $250. It had intake manifold (weiand), and all the front accessories. I still took it home and replaced the seals, gaskets, and heard it run before I removed it from the truck. I considered it a good deal! I now have probably a little over 1400 total invested just to make it work correctly. Yours will be FI, so knock off my $300 carb, but if you dont have a buddy at an exhaust shop, plan on buying new headers. I recommend Hooker. They came from Advance Auto parts cheap, and needed a slight bend on the drivers side. Headman 289/302 headers wont work with a standard on this engine. If you can load all of the accessories on the front of the motor with it, DO IT! That serpentine settup is a costley little bugger, and is almost like buying gold. If you dont have AC, the compressor can even be used as an onboard air compressor! I always looked at this equation: Motor Cost + accessory cost individually (if sold seperatley) + core charge for same motor in parts store + regasket set multiply that by 50%. Depending on where you live, the price could be good, or could be just barely high. Its alot of work, so I would only do it personally if it was what your final plans had entaled. Look closely though, even the Harmonic Ballancer is around 300 to replace! Hope this shines some light for you! I would honestly offer no more than $550 with all accessories, with wiring and cats.....

trailbound

go to pick'n pull, 1st weekend of every month is 50% off. 650 for a motor with out front dress or wiring harness and computer is flat out rediculous.

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
pull the cats

local shop here pays upwards of $45 for a single used cat! I traded mine for exhaust work! Just looking at all the little things that add up! I'm just throwing out what I would consider useful info! One persons trash is anothers treasure: I traded $150 worth of welding, bending, and rehanging of my exhaust due to Header change for a used cat I took off of another vehicle when pulling the motor!