• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Four barrel w stock air cleaner?

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I know that the stock air cleaner will fit on the top of the Edelbrock carb, but will the stock air cleaner, along with the air cleaner hose to the core support, provide enough air to the carb?

My stock air cleaner is chrome and looks great. I would love to run it with the new carb, but not if the carb won't get enough air.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

bteutsch

I have an edelbrock 1405 carb I run with my stock air cleaner, using standard filter, with no problems, works great. If you thought you needed more airflow you could always use a k&n air filter. My specs are original 302 bored .30 over, edelbrock performer package including 1405 carb, performer cam and lifters and performer intake. I also run pertronix stock look distributor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 126

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know a stock air cleaner on a stroked 350 works. May not be the ultimate, but it does work.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have a QJet on a 351W, I ran the stock air cleaner with a K&N filter, and with extra 2.5 inch holes cut in the base for years, and I always attributed the stumble when the 2ndaries kicked in to oversize/undersize needles/jetting. Until I changed to a GM style air cleaner(factory tall type found on 80's GM trucks...Wow what a difference. It appears to me the Bronco factory air cleaner was constricting at the area above the carb entry area..
I never noticed a difference when I had an Ebrick 1406, Holley, or a Motorcraft 4100, but then again, all except the 1406 were worn out POSs when I had them.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't think of using anything but the stock air cleaner. With a 351 police interceptor and both Holleys and AFBs up to 650 cfm the air supply is more than adequate. It's quiet,cleans the air,and cools the air. The idea that it is restrictive must come from after market hype.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Should work just fine. I am running the stock air cleaner on a Autolite 4100.

Someone chromed your stock air cleaner? Got any pics?

Yeah, the PO chromed a ton of parts, including the stock air cleaner. It looks great. Real eye catcher when you open the hood. It's one of the reasons I asked the question, I wanna keep it.

Take a look at my gallery pics and you'll see a pic there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

OP
OP
muskrat

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I have an edelbrock 1405 carb I run with my stock air cleaner, using standard filter, with no problems, works great. If you thought you needed more airflow you could always use a k&n air filter. My specs are original 302 bored .30 over, edelbrock performer package including 1405 carb, performer cam and lifters and performer intake. I also run pertronix stock look distributor.

Looks great. Thanks for the feedback.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock setup is fine it will flow enough air for most normal useage. If you plan on running over 6000 RPM then it may not be up to the task. A mild 302 wont even fully use the airflow a 500 cfm carb can provide.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use to run the stock air cleaner top and removed the base and used a flat piece of aluminium across the bottom of the stock air filter when I wanted the engine to consume some of the hot air under the hood.