• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

four speed top loader to c4 automatic Question

G

Hey my four speed trans is bad so I want to swap to a c4 automatic can you tell me every thing that I will need to do the swap every nut and bolt . thanxs

74bronc

Bronco Guru
First, you are going to have to come up with an early bronco C4 setup. You will need:
tranny
adapter
dipstick tube (into the pan)
torque converter
kickdown linkage
bellhousing dust shield
164 Tooth Flexplate (matching the torque converter)
Auto starter
Automatic steering column with shifter linkage or aftermarket floor shifter (B&M Megashifter, Lokar etc...there are many that will work)
Radiator w/tranny cooler or better yet an external cooler
Cooler lines

It is basically a bolt in conversion. The biggest thing is to make sure you have all the parts before you begin. The best bet is to find a donor bronco or setup and buy everything that is needed. You will reuse your factory bronco crossmember (tranny mount) unless it has been modded for the 435 (i don't know the ins and outs of the 435 setup in the EB).

OP
OP
G

I say it is bad because I paid 1200 for it to be rebuit and it still jumps out of gear. I had the mechanic go over it 6 times and he still could not get it right.

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=ace2020 link=board=5;threadid=21347;start=0#msg166077 date=1062217603]
I say it is bad because I paid 1200 for it to be rebuit and it still jumps out of gear. I had the mechanic go over it 6 times and he still could not get it right.
[/quote]
What the heck could be the problem?? I am thinking of going from a 3 spd. to the TL this concerns me a bit based on the cost and then having to start over?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=ace2020 link=board=5;threadid=21347;start=0#msg166077 date=1062217603]
[/quote]

What gear does it jump out of? And what model 4spd do you have?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Have you tried adjusting the linkages?

I can't understand why you would want to go from a 4 speed to a 3 speed other than not wanting to shift.

OP
OP
G

When the transmission guy rebuilt it the first time it would jump out of 2nd gear the second time i went back to him and it would not jump out of second gear any more but it would now jump out of third gear. When it would pop out of third gear it felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the car. I went back a third time and when i got the bronco back it would jump out of first gear and now I am frustrated so anything but that transmission would be fine. It is no fun being stuck on the side of the road... The trans was out of a 69 mustang. When It gets taken out If you want it it's yours $200.00 for all parts including shifter

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=ace2020 link=board=5;threadid=21347;start=0#msg166277 date=1062301277]
When the transmission guy rebuilt it the first time it would jump out of 2nd gear the second time i went back to him and it would not jump out of second gear any more but it would now jump out of third gear. When it would pop out of third gear it felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the car. I went back a third time and when i got the bronco back it would jump out of first gear and now I am frustrated so anything but that transmission would be fine. It is no fun being stuck on the side of the road... The trans was out of a 69 mustang. When It gets taken out If you want it it's yours $200.00 for all parts including shifter
[/quote]

I would be very interested purchasing your TLoader. What aparts are included? And what kind of shifter do you have? Last but not least where are you located?
When might you be taking it out?

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
[quote author=ace2020 link=board=5;threadid=21347;start=0#msg166277 date=1062301277]
[/quote]
If it pops out of 1st gear, try taking all the linkage off the transmission run it down the road and back that should tell you is it is linkage or not. If it pops out it is internal if not it is Linkage. I hate to give up on something that I never figure out, what why how, what the F((rig!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If it wasn't for shipping I'd buy it!!!!
Maybe we could work out a deal?

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Yeah buddy, I really recommend you try and fix what going on. I just put in a TL, and I feel it's great. Don't give up just yet. Do what was suggested with the linkages, and try to get your money back if the mechanic is bad...
I feel your frustration...
good luck

OP
OP
G

The tranny is out and the only problem was the linkage internals were ok. That is what the new mechanic said. Now with the instilation of the c4 I am hoping that I do not have to much cam for the torque convertor. I should have talked to you guys before getting the c4. I Just got tired of seeing those honda civics with the tin can exhaust blow by me while I wait for my car to go into gear.

U

Unregistered

Do you still have TL trans? Where are you located
thanks
jmc

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Re: Re:four speed top loader to c4 automatic Question

Originally posted by
I Just got tired of seeing those honda civics with the tin can exhaust blow by me while I wait for my car to go into gear.

I'm putting in a 4 speed top loader behind a cleveland to eat up the rice burners....

And I had to get all the pieces, I could of just bought yours...

Is it still available?

blksn8k

If you want to sell the Toploader and parts to install it you need to tell us where you are. There are probably 30 guys on here who would buy it in a hoofbeat including me. I'm in Ohio, where are you?