• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Four Wheeler Bestop Article(Top Care Tips)

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
There is a write up on the new Bestop in the latest Four Wheeler. Since a lot of us have old Kaylines I'd like to point out a few tips on taking care of your top. There are several photos of problems they were having with their older top. If you occasionally swab(q-tip with a little WD sprayed on) your snaps with WD-40 you lessen the chance of this happening. If it does, don't try to yank it apart or you will rip it apart as shown. Use the edge of a knife to pry in between the two halves' seam to separate it(then replace or WD it). They showed a photo where the wing nut that holds the upper back corner of the door frame had worn through the top. The wing nut should be on the back side of that joint(facing into your interior) and never touch the top. They had duct taped the top to the door frame because the velcro wore out. Replace the velcro. My top is almost 8 years old and has had the windows replaced twice(once because of stolen speakers from the former owner), new rear tensioning straps sewn on, and several snaps replaced, and still fits tighter than the new Bestop they show. If the Bestop is your choice by all means go for it. It's a nice top. Just remember that the better you take care of it the longer it will last. The biggest no no is getting dirt or sand in rolled up windows. When I finally replace this one the main material is still in good enough shape to turn it into a full length bikini.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Re:Four Wheeler Bestop Article

Good tips. I read that article and was curious about the "wing nut through the top" deal myself. If you take care of things they tend to last a lot longer; sounds easy enough but my stuff prematurely fails sometimes because I don't want to take the extra 2 seconds to make sure it's in good shape every once and a while.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I just have to see if I am able to bring the one I got for free back to life the side windows were already cut out when I got it and there is a small rip near one of the rear corners of a window tbut the seam is still ok I am going to hand stich it up redye the top and glue new windows in. hopefuly it comes out nice and I will get the WD out for the snaps. By the way is there some kind of water profing I can put on after I am done as it most likely need something. I was thinking of useing seam sealer like the stuff I put on my backpacking equipment on the seams but just need somthing for the main body of the top. scoch guard????

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I've never had a problem with water seeping through the top or seams. Of course it's not 100% weatherproof but out here it's not that big of a deal.....