• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

frame cracked around steering box

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
before i took it off the road (for motor rebuild), i noticed the steering was getting sloppy.uppon further investigating my frame is cracked in 3 places right around the steering box.you can see the whole box moving when turning wheel.lol i havent heard of this happening on ebs',though i am running 40s.
any thaughts on this?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
You're running 40s and haven't heard of this? ;)

Hell, it's a common failure on EBs with much smaller tires than 40s. Time to plate the frame before you tear it completely off.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mine cracked with 31's and a front locker. I've seen the plate kits on one of the vendor sites. I just made my own out of 3/16" plate.

barnsbronco

I just installed the B.C. kit a couple of months ago. comes with everything you need to plate the frame and it also comes with heavy duty spacers for the inside of the frame.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I made my own plate, if you make your own make sure you install spacers in the bolt holes.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Use the spacers.... the frame and box will come apart if you don't
Tom

Not if you plate the top, bottom, inside and outside of the front of the frame rail all the way to the coil spring tower with 1/4" plate. ;)

Now that I'm going full hydro I won't have this to worry about any more. :cool:

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Not if you plate the top, bottom, inside and outside of the front of the frame rail all the way to the coil spring tower with 1/4" plate. ;)

Now that I'm going full hydro I won't have this to worry about any more. :cool:

It will still be stonger if you put the spacers in the frame. ;D With the spacers in the frame, your clamping a 2 inch? peice of solid steel. That beats two 1/4 inch plates.
Tom

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Been here, done this - twice! I tried a home-made plate; cracked again (35" meats, open front). Second time took it to a friend who actually WELDS as opposed to sticking metal together (my specialty).

Beefy plates and spacers inside the frame rail made everything better again.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
My '73 appears to have factory spacers. They're not tube but formed sheet. I reinforced mine with 1/2" plate on both sides after it cracked.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
There is a thin U shaped spacer the steel that is poorly welded in. With the stress of big tires the U's collapse and the bolt heads are pulled through the frame by the steering box. I knock the U's out with a 3/4" water pipe and replace them with 1" OD 1/4" wall DOM to replace them and plate only the outside of the frame. Never had a box come loose after the frame kit. The hard fixes is when you let the problem go too far and the bolts pull through as mine did years ago on the Rubicon. I had to chain the box to the frame to get to the trail head. That was the easy part, the inside of the frame looked like an inverted volcano, I had to heat the whole thing up had hammer it back out from the inside then weld up all the cracks. I came up with the frame reinforcement kit from that repair because it was easy to see what was going on.

OP
OP
blue bronco66

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
well...finally got this thing installed today!i know my welds aint the prettiest,but who cares its
gonna be covered in mud anyway..the hardest part about this was getting the spacers in the
frame just right...thanks bcb for great product and service

BurntOrange74

Chuck,
should a reinforcement plate be welded to the inside of the frame? the box will hold the bolts from coming thru on the outside but nothing on the inside? on these types of failures do the bolts get pulled thru from the inside? just wondering what you think. i am about to install your kit. thanks for the advise.