• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame off - the lazy way

Winesalot

Bear with me while I wrap my head around my future Bronco plan.

I have been watching the listings for fully restored Bronco's that have been listed for sale on Bat, Facebook, craigslist, etc and it seems that I will be in this for $60-75k if I go that route. That's a lot of money but I am willing to pay for getting exactly what I want. But....

I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off finding a decent one for $20-30k and paying to have it professionally restored. I have a specific color scheme I want so any rig I buy will need to be repainted regardless. Are there shops that will do a complete rebuild (engine, fuel injection, transmission, disk brake conversion, rust removal, paint, etc)? Any idea on a ball park cost? If I spend $30k on the purchase I would have $40k in the budget for all of the listed upgrades and have exactly what I want for the same $70k as I am seeing them sell for.

Thoughts?

BTW, I am fully capable of doing everything mechanical on the rig I just don't want to. I am tired, lol. I just spent 4 years doing an owner build on a 10,000 sqft winery building, I have a full time job, run a growing winery on my 'weekends', and I have to build our home starting next year. Like Julia Roberts said in Erin Bokovich, "I am really quite tired."

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Just thought I would share where I am at financially will my restoration. I purchased my 76 in 2011 for 10.5 k. I'm lucky in respect to rust. Very minimal but still an estimate of 20-30 k for full rotisserie factory repaint. By a locale restoration shop. I am doing all the drivetrain restoration, rebuilding everything. And so far before removing the body. I have 15k in parts purchased. And pending bills for engine and transmission rebuilding at approximately 5k. So at this point it adds up to 65k. Keep in mind. I was luck to find a very clean surviver with only 73000 miles on it, before the prices skyrocketed. And there will be a few thousand more in miscellaneous costs, I haven't accounted for. If you can find a good clean restored one in the 60-75k price range. I would go for it. It takes a lot of time and energy to rebuild one yourself. Good luck with your search.

Millercorey

I think you'll find the shops that offer full restoration will want a lot more than you think. Doing most of the work myself and farming out just the key specific one off items, I've probably spent that $30k plus at least 500 hours more of my time.

chuckyb

Contributor
Yes, there are shops on both coasts and in between that will take your rig and handle every aspect of the restoration. The good ones will suggest taking the truck completely apart and down to bare metal and then building it back to your specifications. I think you will be closer to 100k for such a restoration with a lot of willing customers ahead of you in line. As always, convenience comes with a price tag and you get what you pay for, at least with the reputable restorers.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would buy one modified as close to what you want up front. since your tired how long do you want to wait for it. right now if I wanted to go this way find what you want in a drive train and good title and commission a new body. while its being built have the frame and drive train done. stuff any regular shop can do. with good management could be done in a year and then sent off to paint. any good restoration shop probably couldn't pencil you in for a year and then another year or 2 to finish? with the price of steel and complications with China how long can you even get the body panels before they dry up? everything in my industry has gone up 15% and double the lead time or just no determination on delivery. its struggle here in LA where we are used to getting stuff when we need it. good luck with your venture.

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
So far I've got estimates of 30,000 and 38,400 in the podunk Indianapolis market to prep and paint this. (not going to pay that) Doing all the other work myself. I wouldn't even care to estimate all the other investments. If your not restoring out of love, obsession, or craziness, I'd skip it. Not doing any work yourself will have you just shoveling money at people. I'd look for one I liked as is, if I didn't already have one.

Attachments

• A029F759-B038-48EE-BF85-3A1D270195FC_1_201_a.jpg
    A029F759-B038-48EE-BF85-3A1D270195FC_1_201_a.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 155

Yooper74

"Have to build your home next year"... Does this mean you are doing most of that yourself??

I'm not sure about your area but around here contractors are much cheaper than vintage auto restorations shops. Maybe the value of your time would be better spent (and possibly more fun) restoring the bronco yourself and hiring contractors to build the house.

BanditBronco

"Have to build your home next year"... Does this mean you are doing most of that yourself??

I'm not sure about your area but around here contractors are much cheaper than vintage auto restorations shops. Maybe the value of your time would be better spent (and possibly more fun) restoring the bronco yourself and hiring contractors to build the house.

Dang, I didn't see that coming. Honestly a decent way of looking at it.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Always buy the best one you can afford. You will be happier in the long run. I'm with the general consensus that buying one already done is the way to go.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I'm six years in to a complete frame off and it's 95% complete finally. It's being done by a professional restoration shop. I got it out of my system and never want to do it again. It's for sale too, $90,000.

I get a lot of satisfaction working on things but the best part of owning a Bronco is driving it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always cheaper to buy one already done.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

I only did it myself because I had to do it myself.

I think if you buy into the 20k EB's, you'll easily be spending another 60k.

Also, a good rebuilder will probably start at over $100,000. Start. And take 5 years to get it done.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also add that a lot of restoration shops are not that good. In the end you get an expensive polished turd. There are good ones, but not many.

tampabronco

Shops are busy, can't get help, can't get parts. Guessing it would take a year or so...

tampabronco

I've spent all summer waiting on a shop to finish Holley sniper, rear main seal and a larger gas tank.... It's frustrating

strebel

Thus far I am in $87,409... meaningful work has not even started yet beyond teardown. Stuck waiting for so many of the parts that went into that $87k.

- Can't setup a chassis without axles.. don't want to fully prep the frame until i can at least mock up the chassis and suspension.. just waiting.
- i got a brand new gen3 coyote and trans, just sitting in the boxes... next to dozens of other boxes.. just waiting.

build thread thus far is in signature

Last edited:

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
The Bronco restoration shop I am familiar with has a 3 year wait time.

There's just many hurdles building a Bronco from scratch that cannot be known or predicted. I've learned the hard way, experience is a heck of a teacher. Some of these shops have a "build formula" if you will. They have come to this conclusion through years of trail and error.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This^^^^^^^^^^^

I only did it myself because I had to do it myself.

I think if you buy into the 20k EB's, you'll easily be spending another 60k.

Also, a good rebuilder will probably start at over $100,000. Start. And take 5 years to get it done.

I heard that.....