• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

frame to Dana 44 dimension

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Anyone out there with a 3.5" lift, preferably WH, running a 351 Windsor, that can please measure the distance between the top of the Dana 44 and the bottom of the frame on both sides? I'm trying to set up my suspension, need to know what the ride height is.
Forrest

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure someone has that combo Forrest, so we should know soon.
However, since the Windsor is not that much heavier than a 302 anyway (what, 45-75 lbs max maybe?) you should still see in the neighborhood of 10.25-10.5 inches there.
If you add a big bumper and/or winch though, expect that value to be 1/4-1/2 inch less.

The reason there is a range there is that, not only are Broncos very varied, but even springs are not precisely the same from one batch to the next. So expect at least a little variable in there.

For now though, until someone pops in with their measurement, if you set it between 10 and 10.4 inches you should be pretty darn close. Split the difference at 10.25 and you shouldn't go wrong.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way, what transmission and t-case you running?
And is the engine equipped with any non-stock stuff, such as aluminum intake or heads that might lighten it even below what a stock 302 could be expected to weigh in at?
Or an aluminum radiator, or perhaps even a larger copper one?

If you're running a stock trans and aluminum heads and intake, you should base your ride height closer to the 10.5 average.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running a 3.5" CAGE SL with D44 pushed forward about 1.5" and mine measures 10 to 10.25 inches both sides.

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Thanks Paul and Tobin. I am running a C-4 and T-20, will be Hydroboost for Brakes and Steering. Front bumper will be prerunner type with HD rock skid plate, 3/16" thick on front. :cool:

Paul, can I trade out the WH 3.5" front springs to 4.5" if I can't get the right set up? Or do I sell'em and buy new ones? %)

Thx

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the springs still new? Or have they been installed?
While we don't have an official swap-policy for installed product (even if they have not been driven on yet) you can always give a quick call in and ask whoever you talk to about it. I would ask for Johnny on that one.
Chances are you could still return them, but I would not want to guarantee that yet. Need more details.

As for a straight swap before they have been installed? Not a problem at all. We do that fairly often because so many Bronco builds have changed direction before they've even been started!

The downside is shipping. Depending on where you are (assume you're in Rescue, CA?) it could very well be worth the return cost. Especially if you use it as an excuse to stop by the shop! For those half-way across the country it's often better to sell them to a deserving Bronco owner at a price that's usually good for both parties (new springs can get a fair resale price still) and just get the new ones.

Back to your setup though, I would not make any decision just yet. Yours does not sound like it will have enough added weight to have an issue at the expected height. You should be able to obtain the usual 10.5" approximate height (plus or minus about 1/4" or so) from a 3.5 variable rate coil.
Are you thinking you want more than that? Or are you just concerned that the softer initial rate might be taken up with the weight? How much leeway do you have?

Hopefully it works out as-is.

Paul

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul and Tobin. I am running a C-4 and T-20, will be Hydroboost for Brakes and Steering. Front bumper will be prerunner type with HD rock skid plate, 3/16" thick on front. :cool:

Paul, can I trade out the WH 3.5" front springs to 4.5" if I can't get the right set up? Or do I sell'em and buy new ones? %)

Thx

I am a sucker, just sell me 3.5" springs for half price:D