• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame VIN with body on

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Allright guys and gals......I would really like to see pics of the frame VIN with THE BODY ON the frame!!!!!

Have seen lots of pics of the frame VIN without the body on, but NONE with the body in place.

I have an idea where to look and have sanded, wire-wheeled, and applied super-clean to the area I thought the VIN should be, but can see NOTHING from above.

I cannot justify removing the body to look at the VIN......I bitch about modern car engineers and how they do stuff - so the 'shade tree mechanics' can't work on the newer cars (easily) any more. What idiot engineer (back in the 60's-70's) decided to put the VIN stamp under the body???

Maybe, once I see a pic or two, like I requested, I may rescind my comments about the engineers - that is if I can actually see mine.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Between the starter and fire wall area. I usually stand on a step stool and shine flashlight and poof it's there. I'll look for a pic.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Have seen lots of pics of the frame VIN without the body on, but NONE with the body in place.
The reason you don't see pics with the body on is because of how hard it is to get a camera to focus in that confined space, without any light. And even if you could, most frames are too dirty - removing the body allows them to be cleaned, which reveals the VIN location. If you really want to pursue it this way, use this diagram to measure the locations on your frame (there are only 3), try to clean them, and then post pics of what you find. Click this & read the caption:

What idiot engineer (back in the 60's-70's) decided to put the VIN stamp under the body?
Probably one who was following instructions given to him by the lawyer that his employer hired to decide that sort of thing. And the lawyer probably chose those locations based on a legal requirement (from the Fed) that the VIN be placed where it's not easy to alter, deface, damage, or remove.
Maybe, once I see a pic or two, like I requested...
Whether you see them or not: post your own, once you find yours (even if it's after you put the body BACK on ;)).

rguest3

Bronco Guru
The frame VIN is straight down from the Firewall on top of the Passenger Side Frame Rail. You can feel the indentation of the VIN on the frame with your fingers. Hole, oblong hole, then hole on top of frame well. About an inch or two back from there.

Wire wheel, wire brush and lots of cleaner. DO NOT SAND OR GRIND you will get rid of the VIN itself.

Hope this helps

chuckyb

Contributor
Step stool, wire brush, soap and water...it's easier to see and take a picture of when wet.

OP
OP
Pops68

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
OK, how about a pic with bright colored (blue, white, green, whatever) tape covering the VIN????

With the body on!!

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
My 66 is totally disassembled and I don't see the VIN anywhere. Is it located elsewhere on a 66?

Here are mine painted Ford Blue on my 66, didn't want to cover them with POR 15

Attachments

• VINs.jpg
    VINs.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 67

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Found it. Actually two like 1strodeo.

Took the grinder with a wire brush to it this afternoon.

I see why no one wants to paint them. Can hardly make them out they're so shallow.

Thanks all!