• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Freeze Plugs

j_66chevelle

I've searched and have not seen this one.

Recently rebuilt motor with new freeze plugs and both plugs on the backside of the heads are corroded and leaking

Any easy way to replace them?

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I am afraid you will need to pull the engine, at least enough to have room. Steel plugs are the worst / cheepest. Brass plugs are second best and stainless are the best. JMO

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There's nothing wrong with steel freeze plugs. If yours are corroding (no matter how old they are, but especially if they're new), it indicates serious problems with your coolant. Either you're buying crap coolant, or you're not changing it on-schedule, or you have something causing it to become corrosive (head gasket leak?). Read this:

http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5230

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes there is an easy way to just punch the old ones in and install a rubber freeze plug repair kit. But, how long do you want it to last?

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
I installed some of those rubber ones about 15 years ago on the original mill. they're still there and not leaking.

straight to the point... throw a couple extra in the glove box, and if the ones installed start leaking, change it again. Its not worth pulling the engine for that fix unless it becomes a bigger or consistent problem. Its all a personal preference.