• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fresh paint, how long till I can install hoodliner

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I just painted a new fiberglass hood today. How long should I wait to install an adhesive backed hood liner? Does the paint need to cure for awhile? What do you think?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As stated above, it can depend on the paint, how it was applied (thickness, number of coats, flash time between coats, etc) and the environment (temperatures, humidity, etc). In all honesty, I wouldn't apply something like a chemical adhesive to fresh paint for at least 5-10 days out of an abundance of caution, but I'm no expert when it comes to auto body and paint.

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I'd start by looking at the paint manufacturer's recommendations for dry time, etc.
Dry time is only 16 hours. After that I could be sanding, buffing etc. Even though it's "dry", I thought it could still be off gassing for some time. I could definitely be wrong though as I'm no professional by any stretch. I'm just worried that might affect the adhesion of the liner. If it wasn't the weekend I would call the paint supply house and get there take.

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
As stated above, it can depend on the paint, how it was applied (thickness, number of coats, flash time between coats, etc) and the environment (temperatures, humidity, etc). In all honesty, I wouldn't apply something like a chemical adhesive to fresh paint for at least 5-10 days out of an abundance of caution, but I'm no expert when it comes to auto body and paint.
It's an adhesive backed sound deadener , so nothing too aggressive. However, I'm thinking like you to be on the safe side. Of course, the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to keep rolling on it while I have the time to work on it. Hopefully some paint and body guys chime in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dry time may not be the same as cure time. So many variables. 2-part paint cures faster. Solvent cures slower.

fluffybunny

Contributor
After I painted mine, I asked the worker at the paint supplier how long I needed to wait to put on pinstripe/decals. She said a month so I waited that long.

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to do it this weekend but I'm probably going to wait and call the paint supply house on monday.

OP
OP
Qumanchew

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
After talking to the paint supplier I decided to wait 3 weeks to install the liner, just to be on the safe side. He said it wouldn't be an adhesion issue, but it could discolor the paint under it. I wasn't worried about that at all, but I waited anyway. I'm happy with how the liner turned out. It's not perfect, but for a driver it's good.

Attachments

• 20230422_082956.jpg
    20230422_082956.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 24