• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

From Trail back to street

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Been a long time since I've posted, great to see the forum is still alive and active. Here's my dilemma.

When I first bought my 69, Paragon was just starting to become popular, and I enjoyed the off road community so much my rig slowly became an off road only vehicle. Sheet metal got bent, rockers were replaced with rock skids, etc.

Getting older now, I'd like to take the rig back to a cruiser. I'm also the kind of person who Thinks, as long as I'm this far into it, I might as well...... (you fill in the blank)

The crux of my question is, I'd like to replace the tub. I keep looking at the bronco design uncut tub which looks fantastic, but the purist in me keeps looking at metal. Has anyone bought the JBG tub kit? I'm concerned that assembly from scratch is going to be painful and not sure how all the measurements will work out.

Also wanting input from the fiberglass tub owners, durability (stress cracks?, Paint issues, etc)

I am in the rusty north east and I'd like to stop worrying about rust repair each year.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Dang, Paragon Adventure Park closed in 2007! But Rausch Creek is just down the road :)

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Dang, Paragon Adventure Park closed in 2007! But Rausch Creek is just down the road :)

Lol, Yup, didn't notice my join date did you ;)

Ironically I now live an hour away from Hazleton. I hate that it closed. Changed jobs, now work at Eastwood, and loving working with the auto resto market. Just gotta worm my way into the next SEMA trip

I think this was 2001 or 2
allen1.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There is a video of a guy assembling the JBG body. I saw it about 2 years ago. There must have been a link from this site back then.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I would never try to do the metal body kit. It has been done a few times. I'm sure there were lots of issues. How bad is yours? I'd fix it or go glass and be done with it!

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
I would never try to do the metal body kit. It has been done a few times. I'm sure there were lots of issues. How bad is yours? I'd fix it or go glass and be done with it!

Been chopped up pretty good, and what hasn't been chopped is rusty. It's a 50'er. looks ok from a distance. My concern is that to do it right I'd just be replacing almost all the sheetmetal anyways. Don't know why but I feel like I just keep trying to find reasons not to go glass when it's my best option.

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
been good, you should have no excuse not to be at the roundup this year at rausch creek.

the Bronco design tub is nice

http://broncodesign.net/

you should join the local bronco club :)

www.earlybroncos.com

I will, just got to get the heap moved from the NW corner of the state to the SW corner. It's killing me that I built a 30x40 barn to do this resto, and now I'm selling the place, and don't have a decent shop.

I think I've heard of that local club. Some of the members are questionable **cough **cough.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
If you have the coin go glass. I am a big fan of steel tubs but if you want a bronco you can drive all year long and not worry about rust go glass. It seems no matter how good you get rid of the rust it always comes back. Especially on PA roads with all the salt and dirt in the winter.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
holly crap he's alive...

My thoughts exactly!!

Allen, Gary here. You were just moving away as I was getting involved with MEB. But now I've moved to Texas! LOL

Welcome back to the Bronco world!

I recently saw a JBG tub being built. It takes a LOT of time and work to get aligned correctly. It really needs to be put together in a jig. Agree with Randy and others - the BD tub is really nice, go glass.

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
My thoughts exactly!!

Allen, Gary here. You were just moving away as I was getting involved with MEB. But now I've moved to Texas! LOL

Welcome back to the Bronco world!

I recently saw a JBG tub being built. It takes a LOT of time and work to get aligned correctly. It really needs to be put together in a jig. Agree with Randy and others - the BD tub is really nice, go glass.

Gary! Great to hear from you. Don't blame you on moving to Texas, wish I was there right now!

All right, glass it is. Guess I'll get on the waiting list. Reminds me of my first new Harley, the waiting list was a year back then.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Not trying to throw a wrench in your gear cogs..... but Thoroughbred International is now producing replacement steel tubs. They are kinda pricey (about $9000), but if you want steel, here it is assembled.

This is a quote from their Facebook Page:
"September 30, 2014, Concord, NC & Canfield, OH
The 1966 through 1977 Ford Bronco, a small utility vehicle that has become so much more since its introduction almost 50 years ago, is set to be released again. Brand new steel bodies will be available for off-roaders and purists alike. Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts in conjunction with Thoroughbred International, the reproduction body experts, announced that the new bodies will go on sale in early to mid-January. The bodies will be modelled after the 1968-76 models.
“These new bodies will help to resurrect rugged workhorses and allow builders to create a rig to their own specifications without starting from a rusty, crooked beginning,” said Nate Miller, president of Thoroughbred.
Values for the original Broncos have been steadily climbing as enthusiasts clamor for the rugged looks and easy modifications. Due to limited rustproofing from the factory, few early Broncos have survived in anything close to good condition.
“This new body tub will allow owners of rusty and wrecked Broncos to begin again, without all the patching and welding,” said Miller. “It will save time and money versus restoring a rusty pile, a far better option for people who want a solid, durable vehicle.”
The new Broncos will be sold directly through Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts, and then shipped from Thoroughbred’s plant in Ohio. The new Broncos are designed, engineered, and assembled in the U.S.; they can be finished in silver weld-through or red epoxy primer. Doors, tailgates and fenders will be optional on top of the $8,950 MSRP.
“The demand for the first generation Broncos has been building for some time as good originals become scarcer and demand increases for high-quality Broncos,” said Daniel Carpenter of Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts. “We know that by using our quality parts and the proven quality of Thoroughbred in the body-building market, we have an excellent product that we are excited to get into the customer’s hands.”
Full floor and quarter panel assemblies, each built to the same exacting specifications as the full bodies, will also be available through Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts in January 2015. The first reproduction Bronco body, riding on a restored frame, can be seen at Fall Carlisle, at the Fall Hershey AACA meet, and at SEMA in Las Vegas in November.
Tom, Doug, Dick or Vince at Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts (704) 786-8139
info@dennis-carpenter.com
Harry Evans, Thoroughbred Int. (330) 533-0048, harry@thoroughbredgt.com"

Attachments

• Thoroughbred International Replace Bronco body.jpg
    Thoroughbred International Replace Bronco body.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 62

Dlish

I will, just got to get the heap moved from the NW corner of the state to the SW corner. It's killing me that I built a 30x40 barn to do this resto, and now I'm selling the place, and don't have a decent shop.

I think I've heard of that local club. Some of the members are questionable **cough **cough.

You at Eastwood in Pottstown? About 30 min for me so I always pick my stuff up vs shipping.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
How to put the body kit together. Welcome back by the way. I remember your posts from way back when I joined the board.

bodykitbuild_zps0f107127.gif

OP
OP
Allen_69

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
You at Eastwood in Pottstown? About 30 min for me so I always pick my stuff up vs shipping.

Yup, That store is connected to our warehouse and corporate HQ. Nice that you can pick from warehouse for that store, anything we carry you can get there. We have another store that just opened last year in Alsip Il (south Chicago). Plans for a 3rd this year, will be east of the Mississippi until we can get a bigger warehouse presence out west. Right now we can ship welders and plasma cutters out of Nevada.

Not to turn this into an ad but if you guys have any questions regarding our products I can get answers.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Justo: That graphic of your assembly process is awesome! Makes it look easy... If I did the same, all you would see is a timeline of everything going downhill..... :eek:

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Allen, good to see you back! Matt may be selling his "extra" glass bronco.
Steve