• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front and rear shock location and length

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
My build is going good. I am now in the process of adding shock brackets and positioning them.
My suspension is 3.5 Inch lift I have full width axles.
I have two options in front and rear but I am a little clueless in what way to go

Aftur.jpg

I have this option in the back.
If I go with the tower should I aim for straight up and down?
Or use the original and go with the stock location?

Stendur-hj-lin-1.jpg
Just a view of all the glory

Fram.jpg
I have this hopes for the front that I could make work..
Using the Full Width Offset Coil Buckets from James Duff I would have to modify the a little

Fram-2.jpg

I also have this Shock towers I could use in front.
They may give me a few inches in extra travel.

Any negativity in using the tower... I have not put the body on yet..

All input appreciated :) Happy Easter

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I vote tower up front. More travel and less to reach around when working on stuff. Also so.e of the front hoops are in the way should you want to add a sway bar. As for the rear mount the more vertical the more effective the shock is. Mounting at an angle allows for a longer shock.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tower in the rear is typically a no-go as that is where the tire goes. But I guess full width gives that option. If you do that be prepared that the typical shock valving will not be right. The typical shock valving is for a shock laid over at 45° and will be stiffer as leverage works against it. Upright, the shock travel is 1:1 with axle movement. Laid over it is closer to a 1:2 ratio (varies with position as well).

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Tower in the rear is typically a no-go as that is where the tire goes. But I guess full width gives that option. If you do that be prepared that the typical shock valving will not be right. The typical shock valving is for a shock laid over at 45° and will be stiffer as leverage works against it. Upright, the shock travel is 1:1 with axle movement. Laid over it is closer to a 1:2 ratio (varies with position as well).
Thank you I will keep that in mind. The bearings are only 3/4 in the tube so It might end up tighter than it looks on the photos

joshua

Contributor
Sorry I’m semi thread jacking here. But if you could measure from the plate on top of the leaf spring straight up the frame you would be a huge life saver.

My truck is about to be at the same stage and I have a set of mystery wild horses springs I’m trying to solve, and I’m hoping they are the same as yours.

Thanks if you’re able to do that!

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Sorry I’m semi thread jacking here. But if you could measure from the plate on top of the leaf spring straight up the frame you would be a huge life saver.

My truck is about to be at the same stage and I have a set of mystery wild horses springs I’m trying to solve, and I’m hoping they are the same as yours.

Thanks if you’re able to do that!
That is no problem at all. But keep in mind that my that I have removed the original and welded on Heavy Duty Leaf Spring & Shackle Hangers from Tom's
The lead spring shackles are from @migs
also the plate on the leaf spring is heavy Duty from Wh4x4. So measurement's can be different. Also I am in the metric part of the world so....

It's looks as A little under 10" under the frame
and around 13.5" - 13 1/2" above the frame
Good luck ;)

sta-ur.jpg
Undir.jpg
Yfir.jpg

joshua

Contributor
💪💪💪

Thanks!!! I’ll just have to get that plate and call it close enough on the rest!!

You made my effen day!