• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle shaft questions & u joint questions

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have a driver's side F150 axle shaft and an aftermarket passenger axle shaft that use 1 3/16" u joints.
What size is a stock u joint?
How much stronger is the F150 axle shaft vs stock?
also
How much stronger are the chromemoly? A lot?
What size u joints come typically come with alloy axles?

Trying to educate myself here, but there is not a lot of comparison info on the vendor's sites and searching didn't really answer my questions (unless I botched that up too (which is likely:p )).

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
the f150 axles are usually just as strong as any stock d44 axle. they are all 30spline. that being said just remember that what is out there now is are also 20-30 years old & used.:cry:
if you buy new buy cromo shafts. :)
cromo with cromo or 300m u-joints will make your d44 as strong as a stock
d60.;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The shaft itself is the same strength between the F150 and stock axles. The u-joint is larger though on the F150 axle which will make it stronger at the joint which is normally (not always though) where they break. Interestingly enough I busted 3 of the aftermarket stock replacements (larger u-joints) at the splines before I upgraded to the alloy ones.

The 30 spline alloy shafts will have a stronger shaft and spline area than both the 30 spline Dana 60 outer and the 35 spline inner. The stock u-joint ears will normally be stronger on the Dana 60 though since most of the alloy axles do not have hardened alloy ears. The only exception I know of will be the expensive Superior Evolution Series axles which do have the hardened ears.