• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D30 Front Axle Shaft U Joint Replacement

rmcbama

Loc.
Birmingham
I'm replacing my D30 front axle u joints and have never done that before. The inner clips are off and I thought I could drive the caps off from the inside out using a punch. I got slight movement but then it appeared to stop. I want to check if there's any tricks in getting these out easily (at least relatively easy) without damaging anything. I don't have a press.

OP
OP
rmcbama

rmcbama

Loc.
Birmingham
I found a Jeep 4x4 article and it worked. I skipped the first axle and went to the second that was way easier than the first. I used a large deep well socket under the joint for the bottom cap to fall into and a smaller socket with an OD just smaller than the cap diameter. With the shaft in the vise a small sledge hammer did the trick. The first axle was much harder than the other but some big hammer swings got it moving.