• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axles - stock or upgrade?

Broncopower96

Loc.
Chantilly
Hello All,

I am rebuilding the d44 front axle in my 77, and have accumulated all of the parts and tools. I will be installing a Detroit truetrac with 33 tires, and a 351w. I am not sure if I should bite the bullet, and order chrome moly axles shafts as well, or if I can get by with stockers. I plan to take it in the sand and some trails, but no serious rock crawling. I don't want to put all of this time and effort into rebuilding the front end just to have the axles break down the road. What would you suggest? Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The stock axle material is pretty good. It's the stock U-joint size that is too small. No super alloy or design can make up for it being too small.

With a front locker, get better axles. Even if it is just stock big joint axles with the long side cut down to fit the Bronco.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I ran a true trak with the stock axles with no problems. If you upgrade to a full locker definitely do the axles

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Usually the chrome molys will have the bigger Spicer 760 u-joint.
I know while you have it torn down it would be nice to have new axle seal surfaces on a new set of seals.
I can't guarantee it but the past 2 years WH had the D44 chrome molys on sale during their Black Friday sales event for $290 as I bought a set (just sayin). If you can wait it is always easier to tear down the second time as your usually not dealing with rust/corrosion.
If your 77 still has the 77 axle, the knuckles have a bigger hole to get bigger u-joints through especially if you tear one up.

I probably didn't help you at all on your decision.:(

70_Steve

Old Guy
Another consideration is what type transmission you're running. With a Manual, you can put a lot of stress on drivetrain components. Automatics tend to put less shock and stress on the drivetrain.

$400ish (with shipping) isn't much compared to the peace of mind this would bring. Especially if you've ever seen pictures of the front axle when the u-joint let go.

What are you doing with the rear? Staying stock 28 spline or going to 31 spline? If you're going to 31 spline, then I'd match the front end and upgrade the axles.

Edit: I'm running 35's and chose to install Yukon Chromo front axles. I snapped an outer axle when I wedged the passenger side tire in a crevice (I was "spotted" into it) and was told to keep coming forward. (BANG!) Yukon has a lifetime warranty on their axles, and in a week I had a new outer.

Last edited:

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
With the locker you need axles with bigger joints, especially in the sand. Check out the Chromoly axles from Tom's Bronco Parts, they are reasonably priced, come with Spicer 760 U-joints and made in the USA.

OP
OP
B

Broncopower96

Loc.
Chantilly
Thanks for the tips! I purchased 31 spline axles for the rear, and plan to go ARB. Going to run a zf 5 speed trans. Based on all of the input, I think I will go with chrome Molly's in the front with the 760 u joints. Might as well not cut corners now, after investing so much already. Thanks.

Northwest69EB

Broncopower96

I just finished building my D44 for my 69 sport, I was in the same boat as you but after much debate bought the Tom's Bronco Chromoly axles Part Number: 3454 $297 and had Tom's install the 760x U-Joints $30. I know they aren't as beefy as Yukon or others but for the price you can't beat them unless of course you’re building a dedicated crawler!