• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front carpet kit install, kinks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Installing front half of carpet kit.

No idea who's carpet this is, it was bought that long ago. Would have liked to have waited and done the TBP one piece which has many good reviews.

Back half of this kit is "OK", one piece fender carpet which was "formed", and I use that term loosely, will probably lay down OK but I'll have to glue it which I'm not a fan of. Not the best product IMO.

Front half, oh boy. Lots of kinks in carpet at forward tranny cover to floor junction, and rear floorboard to vertical seat pan and tranny cover. Passenger side rear part seems to blend in OK, again, forward tranny to firewall area is very kinky. The kinky parts have enough to fold over on itself, hard to correct something like that I would think.

In other words, this was not really formed well, and I'm not seeing how any amount of heat will "cure" this into place. I know how to stretch this stuff, but how do you "shrink" it? I basically have a 1 inch kink of extra carpet at the two joints mentioned.

Heat and steam? TBP carpet kit ordered, and I sit another week....

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you put any juke padding or sound deader below the carpet.
Maybe that can tighten it up a bit

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well, that would have taken up the slack and yes I used a 3/8ths inch pad under the carpet. The padding should have made the carpet around the spots noted tighter.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
My has a bad kink under the passengers seat. Got most of it out over time but still just knowing it's there.

SteveC

Loc.
Tuscaloosa AL
I put in new carpet and mine is the same way in both places. I've tried heat gun and everything I know of. It's gonna be mostly covered by the seats but I still know its there.

Tossing my old carpet was the biggest mistake I made in the whole resto. I would keep the old carpet next time and do everything I could do to use it unless it was in tatters. Mine was not bad and I could have steam cleaned it and probably been fine.

New is not always better!

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, good folks at TBP, sent their carpet kit minus the floor insulation, I already have that done, fits like a glove, seemed all the way around. So nice, I now have to drop the rollcage back in to check carpet to cut it and have an upholstery shop hem it back to nice..

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_134014891.jpg
    IMG_20171209_134014891.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 141

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another disadvantage or two that you have right now is the age of the carpet (and how long it's been packaged?) and the temperature. Believe it or not there can be a HUGE difference in how it reacts when it's cold vs when it's been sitting out on a hot day for a couple of hours before installation.

Can't say for sure this is the issue in your case, as the carpet may actually be crap. But even good kits feel like crap sometimes unless you have the right circumstances.

Good luck. Maybe it'll even settle in after driving it awhile.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If you have a molded kit there is a 90% chance it is ACC carpet. I have installed at least 4 of their kits and they all need some tweaking. I always do it on a hot sunny day. Like Paul mentioned, heat helps a lot. It requires more beer but the results are worth it. You also have to add or remove padding to make it lay flat in all the corners. Overall the ones I did fit pretty well.

I pad the full floor, put the carpet in place and let it settle in the heat. Then I use spray glue to glue the carpet to the padding as I lay the carpet in. I think gluing the carpet to the padding, so that it works as a backing, makes the biggest difference in preventing wrinkles and bubbles.

ea5682a593b9597143bee88e07a4dd98.jpg

081d06a82ee95b64abd9971ec241764e.jpg

f9ef025626ea2d1670b4192f7cccd1aa.jpg

Last edited:

MonsterBIlly

I have a full set of grey carpet from TBP and the heavy duty insulation new in the box if anyone wants it. I will let it go cheap.

I decided not to use it

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now you tell me:)

Yeah, the original unknown version was set in sun and still no bueno.

That carpet install is very nice, btw nice cooler, never should have chucked the one which came with mine, but it was sun rotted, so.