• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Clip Tech

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Well since my little mishap at the shop, I will now be replacing my front inner aprons, inner fenders, and core support. From what I have read, this can be tricky with regards to alignment, door fitment, etc...... I have not found a good write up or video of the best way to approach this. Body is off the frame and on a rotisserie. I would have to think it is best to put it back on the frame, bolt it down snug, and then proceed forward. Looking for any and all advice. Tech write up, pics, measurements, instructions, examples, videos, etc etc.......

Thanks in advance

Scott

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
Getting it solid's a good start. If you can start the inner fenders with a couple of screws and set the fenders in place to check alignment you may end up with less chance of fender misalignment with the front of the door and better gaps. Then when you're happy you can tack it in and pull the screws. That's how I think I'd do it NEXT TIME! Education is so darned expensive these days!

TXBronco 67

Loc.
Katy
I just did driver side on mine to fix a PO front collision. Body was left on frame. I did it with front body mounts loose using clamps and then pop rivets for test fitting panels. Rivets leave small clean holes you can puddle weld, or leave them because they are not very noticeable. Take measurements and pics before and don't expect the aftermarket to fit perfect. It takes a little work with hammers and dollies. To be honest the worst part was removing the damaged panels. I rough cut the old stuff out to be able to reach and cleanly drill spot welds, etc. Just dive in and it will come to you as you go...that's what I did and it took me about 20 hours total to complete. Good luck...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it were mine I would remount the hood to the tub. This will tell you where the front of the grill needs to be. Mount the grill to the core support and line up the grill to the hood. This will help you to find the proper fore ward position. Now you can put in a few. Sheet metal screws to rough fit your inner fender supports. Next put on the fenders to get the side to side gaps on the hood properly located and square up the grill. One thing to remember is the core support is not on center with the frame. It wouldn't hurt to invite some Bronco friends over with complete Bronco's for A measurement check before you go welding everything up. Fenders arent really adjustable they are the right length, they only mount to the grill and look right at the proper position. They locate the hight of the hood by the fender line.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think if I were replacing the inner fenders and core support I would try to make the firewall connection a bolt on arrangement instead of welding everything solid. (Unless you are doing 100% stock restoration in which case you want it to be exactly factory.) Having the ability to unbolt the inner front clip really opens up the engine bay for installation of the motor and engine accessories as you finish your build and for when you may need to do work in the future. Also you can build in some adjustment to let you tweak the fitting when you go back together. All 78 and up Broncos have bolt on inner fenders and core supports so it's not a crazy idea!

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I think if I were replacing the inner fenders and core support I would try to make the firewall connection a bolt on arrangement instead of welding everything solid. (Unless you are doing 100% stock restoration in which case you want it to be exactly factory.) Having the ability to unbolt the inner front clip really opens up the engine bay for installation of the motor and engine accessories as you finish your build and for when you may need to do work in the future. Also you can build in some adjustment to let you tweak the fitting when you go back together. All 78 and up Broncos have bolt on inner fenders and core supports so it's not a crazy idea!

I like this idea.......

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
it all only goes together one way. Start by screwing it together with self tapping screws. attach core support to inner fenders and attach that to the wheel tubs

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I can see welding the inner fenders on to the inner apron, then bolting the apron on to the firewall and core support.....

broncorick

I would mount on frame and mount frame to rotisserie. Worked great for me as I am assembling a tub out of many individual parts and definitely helps with alignment, but still measure a bunch befor welding.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I would mount on frame and mount frame to rotisserie. Worked great for me as I am assembling a tub out of many individual parts and definitely helps with alignment, but still measure a bunch befor welding.

My frame and axels are already blasted, primed, painted, completely rebuilt and re-assembled. I think I am going to just set the tub back down on the frame, install the doors, bolt it up tight, and then work my way forward.....