• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front coil spring removal question

74bronk

Installing a TOR 2.5” lift kit. Starting front end now… should i remove the spring first off then do c bushings? Or c bushings first then coil springs.. any help appreciated

Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
you have to remove springs to get C-cap bolts off their are 2 bolts in the bottom of the spring cups.

helo-mech

You can see in the diagram that one cup (seat) bolt attaches to the Cap and one cup (seat) bolt attaches to the Arm.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.02.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.02.08 PM.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.03.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.03.02 PM.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An easy way to remove the springs though, is to just loosen the lower two retaining bolts initially. Then when you remove the upper clamp (once tension is removed from the springs of course) you can simply twist the springs in an "unscrew" motion and they'll pop right out.
After the spring is removed you can easily get a wrench on the nut bolt heads without having to fight the coil wire.

Paul

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

Thanks guys good info on here im glad i took the time to ask…right now the axel is hanging freely and frame jacked up. Will try tomorrow removing spring

Steve Tool

Always chok the rear tires, lot of pulling and tugging could make her move on you, be safe

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I know you didn’t ask this, but I’ll add it anyway…

When you tighten the caps with the new c-bushings, make sure the arms are the same height/angle when fully tightened. I always set the D44 on jack stands so the housing is in a fixed position off of the wheels. I then tighten the c-bushing cap bolts using an “X” pattern. ( see the arms rise and drop as you tighten the tops and bottoms.). When you’re finished, the arms need to be at the same angle/height or you’ll have “Bronco Lean”. I fine tune the arms using the stud to ground measurement as my reference standard - you may need to loosen an arm and restart to get them to match angle/height. This is an important step in front end assembly!