• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Drum Brake System Questions...

agirgen

Loc.
Bossier City, LA
I'm changing out the front brakes in my 75 and can't figure out how to remove the front drum. Do I have to take apart the locking hub? I started disassembling the hubs, but can only get about half way before I get stuck... I'm hoping there is an easier way around this!

BTW: I have Mile Marker locking hubs...

Thanks!

APG

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I had to loosen the shoes and pry a little at a time all the way around the drum. The lugs are knurled to keep the drum centered. Seems most folks here disassemble the hubs to remove the hub and drum as a unit.

ballistic64

Loc.
Piedmont , SD
As Joe said,taking the whole hub off may be the easiest method.Removing just the drum can be a real PITA at times.You may also have to use a small screw driver and push in on the automatic adjusting lever and back the adjuster (star) off,depending on how old the brakes are there may be a ridge in the drum the shoes are hanging on from wear.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Take the whole hub off. this is an excellent time to check and repack your bearings. You never know what you ill find. Most of the studs are swedged through the spindle and hub. If thats the case with yours then taking the whole hub off is the easiest way to go. Not the funnest but you'll be better off when the job is done.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I concur (big word%) ) with tjk , repacking bearings should always be included in work involving brakes. And it is also a great practice to be familiar with a spanner wrench, What you haven't got one yet?
It is a long walk to the parts store at 2 am cause that pair of channel locks won't cut it.
Sorry but it sounds like you don't have a spanner wrench!

DANGO

I had the same problem/??????/ Monday night. See my thread on 6/2 (DANGO) with a bunch of responses.... but yes, the hub needs to come off too.