• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front end is off, anything else I should do?

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
I'm just waiting on some disc brake parts to come in before I get started on the brakes. I've cleaned, wire wheeled and painted pretty much everything. I have the 14 piece bushings, new tie rods and adjustable drag link.

It'll be a street and light trails truck, right now it has 30's and won't ever go bigger than 33's. Based on how rusty everything was I don't think anything has been gone through in a while so what else should I look to do?

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 63
  • photo 2 (4).jpg
    photo 2 (4).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 48

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Ball Joints?

If you do them it would need aligned afterward...

I prefer Moog replacements, they are grease-able if installed correctly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While some of the other things are best checked while still on the vehicle, you can at least visually inspect them to see if anything is obvious.

First things though, would be to see if the ball joints pivot freely without any chunkiness, and are neither too loose or too tight (measurement of the tension of the steering knuckle while turning).
A main thing to either check, or flat out replace no matter what, if you don't know their history, would be the axle u-joints. They don't last forever, and rarely (if ever) get greased. Some are greasable, some not. But if you're not sure of their condition, it's just cheap insurance to change them.

The lower trackbar mounting stud can come loose from the bracket if the weld(s) crack, but that's very hard to see without the weight of the vehicle pushing against it. Still, it's not a bad thing to flip it over and look up inside that bracket to see if anything obvious sticks out.

Now we get a little deeper. Personally, I'd change the axle seals as well. But only because you have it out where it's easy to work on it, will possibly have the axle shafts out (to replace old u-joints) and under those circumstances, the old "while it's out" rule applies.
Of course, if they're not leaking, and you drive it fairly regularly and have had the rig for awhile, there's not a lot of pressure to replace the old seals. But if you know they're old, or the truck has been sitting, or it looks like they're starting to weep, then like I said... Now's the time!

All of this is made more convenient due to the fact that you have the spindles and backing plates completely off for the brake job. It's also known as the snowball effect!;D
But sometimes we like snowballs for a reason.;)

Paul

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X2 on changing the axle u-joints, be sure to use only quality Spicer joints. I found out the hard way this weekend that cheap old joints can ruin your day when they break. ;)

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Yup the old "while its out" is what I'm looking for, plus I want to get familiar replacing some of this stuff while its easier now so I'll know what to do if something breaks later. I was thinking u joints so I'm glad you guys mentioned that. I'll check over the ball joints and look into the axle seals as well. I drove this truck all summer and nothing was leaking but would rather just do it now and not have to worry about it later.