• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front end off center

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Are all EBs front ends off? My tire on the drivers side sticks out more by about 1.5-2 inches than the passenger side. Im wondering if the track bar could be causing this I have a 2.5 inch lift and f-100 steering (the one that mounts on the inside of the frame) Any thoughts

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
When I put the 3.5" lift in mine and the track bar drop bracket it was still about a half inch off center. I quess if you had a 2.5 inch lift with no drop bracket it could pull the axle over to the drivers side that far. Usually can correct with an adjustable track bar or maybe just a drop bracket. I'm not an expert but 1.5-2" seems like a lot of shift.

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
X2 - You may need an adjustable track bar to get the axle centered again. Also check the bracket where the track bar attaches to the frame and make sure it isn't bent or pulling loose from the frame. You could also go with a track bar raiser on the axle instead of the adjustable track bar. I'd use a raiser on the axle instead of a drop bracket because drop brackets tend to put a lot of extra stress on the frame.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With a 2.5 in lift it should not stick that far out. My axle was maybe 1/2" to the drivers side with a 2.5 in lift. No drop brackets or anything 2.5in lifts dont require them. Sounds like you may have a 3.5in lift with no trac bar drop bracket usually a 3.5in lift was required to run a F100 steering box.
If you get a adjustable trac bar you also need a adjust drag link or you will develop bumpsteer especailly if your moving the axle 1-2"

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
Well it has bump steer something terrible now I will look it over and do something with that track bar to see if that helps It hasnt seen any off roading forever so im guessing nothing is really broken. But Ill look
Thanks for the advice.

SurfCityEB66

Contributor
A drop bracket will help more with bump steer. I just went through this same issue with a 5.5" lift. I got the adjustable pan hard bar and helped line up the front end but still had bad bump steer. Have the stone crusher steering and drop pitman so, once I made a drop bracket for the pan hard bar the problem went away.
Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would also make sure that you're measuring from each frame rail rather than use the fenders as guides. They're usually close, but over the years things can get modified (new mounts, body lifts, rocks, etc.) or it could have been slightly skewed right from the factory.
Either way, it'll be worth everything you do when you get to drive it without any bumpsteer.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not real sure a trac bar drop bracket works wih only 2.5in lift I thought that there was some interferance issues?