• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front susp feels like it is hitting bump stops on the smallest of bumps.

fwilder

Okay this is a potentially really dumb question, but bear with me. Recently I have put on a new/used tie rod, adjustable drag link, drop pitman, new "Nissan" PS box, and went from a 2" to a 3.5 duff coil. Oh and from a 32x11.5 to a 33x12.5. Un cut up front. Oh yeah, steering damper. It's not the typical with the straight ends like WH sells. It's like a shock with ends perpendicular to the shock.

All seems good around town, freeway, etc. I haven't taken it off road yet, as I live in Orange County. Here's the problem. I will hit things like drainage gutters, etc and my suspension feels like it is binding up. Basically feels like it is hitting the bump stops. I know it can't be that, because I'm hitting 2" bumps at say 15-20 MPH. Ummmmm. What could this be? Everything looks fine under the truck. Turns fine, everything is tight.

Maybe that goofy steering dampener? Ben? You’ve seen it.

Thanks,
Fred

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What kind of shocks are you running? what lenght? and are they functioning porperly? A bent shock can make the suspension feel as if it is bottoming. Also worn out shocks could also do it.

OP
OP
F

fwilder

Standard Duff 70/30s. They seemed okay when I replaced the springs. They couldn't be bent, this thing never makes it off the street. I'm guessing they only have 25K mi max.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
bump

Did you put a drop track bar bracket on? It could be hitting under compression.

Put some string or a rubber band around the exposed shock shafts. As your shocks compress, it will leave the string/band however far the shock compresses. This should give you an idea if it's suspension or something else. Then you can keep looking...

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Take off the shocks and jack up one corner to check and see if something is binding or hitting then put the shocks on and repeat.

matt

OP
OP
F

fwilder

I does have the drop track bracket. I like Matt's idea. Thanks guys.